Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He messed with the wrong people.

He messed with the wrong people.

Warning: Long read but worth it. Of course maybe you will get to the end and realize it wasn't but you'll be screwed by then because you already read it.

So the other day in my computer programming class, which happens to have a chineese professor, things started to get complicated. I better start by telling you that I am in no way a racist but this man is incapible of understanding the English language. This I do not understand because he can talk in a way that is mildly understandable but he cannot understand English language at all.

Now, I don't pretend know all there is about computer programming, in fact, I know very little. My friend, however, is very good at it. We went to highschool together and us, along with our other friends, had some pretty good practical jokes. Needless to say we both were lost along with the class, which consists of roughly 20 people. My friend finally raises his hand and brings this to Mr. Lee's attention who of course does not understand what he means. His request was simple "Could we please see some code so we can better understand what you are trying to show us" which was met with something completely off base.

So as the class drew on we were silently talking with each other trying to understand what he was teaching when I think he got angry. He called my friend out saying "Do you have something to say?" Well, my friend did have something to say. It wasn't disrespectful or snotty he just reasked his question. This time it was met with a 10 minute speech on respect and something about his kids talking about grades and some other very hard to follow and completely meaningless things.

So we were to write a plan for this next program that we have. A program over the stuff that we are paying him to not teach us because he cannot understand our questions. The following is what I wrote. I may have gone a little too far with the big fancy words and the way I word the sentences but as I said in the title, he messed with the wrong people.

THE PLAN

In commencing this programming assignment, I will first proceed to research a little further on the essentials of linked lists. My perception as to what they truly consist of is indeed mildly cloudy. There is a certain ambiguousness surrounding the meaning of the linked list that I aim to eradicate in its entirety. After the removal of the aforementioned ambiguousness, I will proceed to writing the program. As of this time I am inapt to provide you with an extremely analytical form of just how I will construct this program. My vindication for this indeed goes back to the ambiguousness that unfortunately surrounds the linked list. I will give you my most sincere assurance, however, that I will strive to eliminate this which will, in turn, allow me to eliminate the estrangement that I feel toward the linked list. The linked list is indeed rather perplexing to me. It seems that it could prove quite useful if I learn the proper ways to harness its power. As I previously stated, I apologize for seeming shallow and pedantic as I am really not. I assure you that I am giving this assignment utmost importance in my large agenda and when completed it will be a reflection of my hardest a most diligent work.

Turning it in tomorrow, well see how it goes.

By the way, my friend wrote his like that too.
    Strangest-Facts
    Domains for Sale (PM me with offers)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Took me sitting there for a second or two to figure out that that's what you wrote, rather than just saying your plan for the project. I was just like "Where's the practical joke?"

Say discombobulated in it.

Anytime someone says 'aforementioned' I take them less seriously. Pick your battles

It would be even funnier if you'd used English correctly throughout.

You need to talk to a higher-up in the department to make either a formal or informal complaint; you may also ask whether your university has a TSE (Test of Spoken English) requirement for its professors. It's funny, but the TSE is usually required for TAs, but not for the actual professors.

I was in this situation once, but I was too young to know what to do. I later found out through a classmate that she'd filed a complaint and some action was taken as a result. I also found out that the professor I had would mix his native language with English while he was speaking, but I couldn't tell at all because he was so hard to understand.

Oh, listening and speaking are two different and but not completely separate skills.

I'm in college right now and if I go into the first class and can't understand my professor, I drop that class. Use ratemyprofessors.com to your advantage, suffering through a semester of pain is not worth it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend you act like a smart*** to a professor, it would not be unlikely if he fails you on the spot.
    Last edited by moonshield; 03-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Why not just replace all of his pens with chopsticks.

Registered
    I thoroughly adore writing english in an exceedingly complex manner, exhibiting the prodigious vocabulary of the english language.

I had to write a number of essays for my IB grade in English and they are graded by content/structure/language. I always scored 9's and 10's for language and mediocre grades for the other 2 parts, because I just had too much fun coming up with ridiculous english word.. I didn't care to make too much effort on producing an interesting story.

Hi Peach,

LOL@your plan.

I totally understand how you feel. It sucks to get something which is worth 1/4 of the price you've paid for. I went to uni/college (as what Americans would call) and had a similar situation - with Indians (again I'm not racist, I have many great Indian friends).

Some suggestions:
    1.Dont you have a newsgroup that you can complain about so that the whole course (including your head of department/dean) would read?

2. Create a petition - emphasizing that you get a 'lemon' professor. Use an example, if you have paid $100 for a box of 100 g fine chocolate, you expect a full box of chocolate (a well knowledge programming professor who speaks fluent english and know how to teach)

3. Play a prank on him so that he hates it so much he quits and hopefully you get a better replacement - I doubt that this one will work, Chinese are very persistent and tough to break ;-).

4. for a passive mode, tape every single lecture you attended and try to get used to his accent (you can always repeat it many times) and if you still can't understand it, go and meet someone higher in your college, and get them to listen what you've taped for :-)

I'm a big believer that losers stay at uni/college after they graduate because they can't get a job outside their comfort zones or too 'chicken' to be in the real world and Yes, all my ex-lecturers are loserssss!!!! !

Good luck and keep us updated.

laser pointers always worked in really pissing off our professors in college...
    Last edited by deronsizemore; 03-21-2006 at 05:20 PM.

I was thinking about going and complaining. It sounds like if I do that there will be a small army of other classmates behind me. He did finally throw up some code today so it was a little easier but I am still learning nothing from him. I am learning by interpreting what he puts on the board and looking things up in the book and on the internet to write the programs. I didn't pay to do that, I paid to be taught.
    Strangest-Facts

http://www.thegreenhead.com/cool-stu...-spotlight.php

Get a group of 5-10 people to buy these then when he faces away from the class turn them all on. When he turns back, off.

That would be classic. It would confuse the crap outta him. I wanted to find a way to tap into the speakers with a laptop. I doubt there is any way or someone else would have already done it but the speakers in the room are wireless I believe. If it could be done that could make for an interesting class and there would be no way of knowing who was doing it because it is a computer programming class and half the people have laptops. I could just randomly throw some funny noises out at different times. I doubt I could do that though.
    Strangest-Facts

You'd be able to figure out the brand, and if they're anything like the headphones I'm wearing, chances are that you'll be able to pick up the signal and there'll be a few different channels to switch through till you find his. You'd probably want to do something to increase the strength of your signal, such as a signal amplifier or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_repeater (I'm not sure if this would work with speakers; however, I have picked up cellphone calls on wireless headphones before)

I am really going to have to look into this then because I could have a lot of fun with that. I wouldn't go way too overboard, just a few subtle noises every once and a while. Subtle but hilarious noises.
    Strangest-Facts

Oh, and you may want to consider something involving bubbles. They're always fun.