Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question time!

Registered

Stupid question time!

Hi everyone, i'm new here. Was wondering if someone could shed some light for me. I'm not rich and was wondering how to go about buying domain names. Not ones that are expireing etc, but just names that havent already been used. Example, say business.com was available and I just parked it for $8.00 at go-daddy. Eventually, just the name would be worth money no?

I've typed in a thousand names I thought would be money making domain names and they were all taken. If I type one in at some point and it happens to be available, is it worth buying it just to park? I'm not a web designer and know nothing about how everyone is going about this game. Thanks for any insight.

Rob............

Is it worth it to buy something that is worth more than what you paid for it? Yes.

Will you find any really good names like business.com? No. You're 10 years too late for the prom for that.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Thanks Chris, yeah I kinda knew that. I'm just wanting to invest a very small amount of money into something. Not really for a quick turnaround, maybe even long term. How about useing popular american domain names and useing them in spanish or other foreign languages? Am I onto something here or still way behind the times wasteing my own?

Thanks again,
    Rob......

Site Contributor
    I'd spend your money elsewhere.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I'd spend your money elsewhere.

Why do you say that? Why are all of you here?

Quote Originally Posted by clueless
    Why do you say that? Why are all of you here?

I can't speak for the others, but I am here because this forum is full of successful, professional, and honest business people who can help each other find solutions to real business concerns.
    Linda Jenkinson
    Shyflower.com
    Writing & Editorial Services for Web Businesses

So you want to be a domain sitter? (Or is that domain squatter?) [sarcasm] A lot of people will love you for that.[/sarcasm]

As a rule the less time and money involved in making a large sum of money, the less the chance of making that money (think the lottery). Thousands of people think the same was you do, and probably the only people making consistent money are the domain registrars.

Are you more open to suggestions for how to make money? Or do you have your heart set on registering a future million-dollar domain name?

Registered
    Thanks, I'm all ears

Well, tell us a bit about yourself--do you have more time or money to invest? Do you have good programming or other web skills? Do you have any particular area of expertise?

The standard and short answer is to set up a content site and put AdSense or YPN ads on it.

Registered
    Well, I've typed in about a thousand more names. Everyone was taken. Getting a little frustrated I typed in "thinksmart.com", of course it was taken LOL.

Wont you please advise a tired working man ):

I guess I misunderstood your response to my questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin
    Are you more open to suggestions for how to make money? Or do you have your heart set on registering a future million-dollar domain name?
    So you are looking for a good domain name? You can check out sedo.com for an idea of what things are in demand and what they are going for.

Registered
    Thanks Erin, No I'm not experienced in web design/programming or anything like that. I'm a construction worker turning 36 in 2 weeks with a spine thats seen better days. I shoot photography on the side for a little extra income. As for money to invest, I am limited in that area but could start somehwere I'm sure. Maybe a few hundred dollars tops at the moment.

I was looking at this website called pool. Domain names/websites already built with ads on them etc. Is this what your talking about?

http://www.pool.com/domainsforsale.aspx

Are they worth a small investment? If so, why are they for sale and does one need certain skills to maintain them etc?

Thanks for any insight, what got me curious about this stuff is an article I read on that college kid who started the milliondollarhomepage. It cant be that easy, if it is, I am definitly in the wrong business working way too hard for my dinner.

Rob.............

Ah, that helps a lot. So you're a beginner. That's okay. So am I compared to some people here.

It might make you feel better to hear (an unconfirmed rumor) that the "MDHP" guy hired an $8,000/month publicist to help him get the word out about his site. So he may not have been the Pet Rock guy we thought he was.

pool.com is similar to sedo. I've actually used pool myself, but not sedo. These places are more for pros, so it sounds to me like these places might be end up being a waste of your money. You really need to know what you're doing if you're going to get into this business, especially if you have only a few hundred dollars to commit right now.

But the good news is that you can started for only a few dollars. You mentioned that your spine isn't up to snuff. Sorry to hear that. But the good news is that a lot of medical information sites pay really well. If you started a site with good information about your spinal problems, you might be able to get some good traffic and revenue.

On a side note, how did you hear about this forum?

Registered
    Thanks and sorry for the delay in getting back. Guess the site was down .

Well, I stumbled upon the site just browsing around reading different things. I registered 2 domains just for the hell of it. Names I thought were catchy.

contractorchaos.com and logolots.com

I have ideas for both but would need to get a hold of a excellent webmaster. Have one guy in mind locally but hes a pretty busy person. Guess theres only one way to learn in this game, by doing. Thanks!

Who the MPHP guy?

Registered
    I think that for less than $50.00 you could get hosting and have someone install the free Wordpress blogging software for you. It would not take a lot of effort to learn enough to make postings on your site that way.

Not everyone is aware of the old joke about what are the first three letterrs in contractor and if you wrote and published regular comments about the contracting business I think you would begin to develop some traffic. In any case it would start to bring you up to speed on how the website publishing business works.

You might also look at www.markupandprofit.com for more contractor repated ideas.

Good luck.