Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memory foam mattresses

Question memory foam mattresses

anybody sleeping on ones of these things? my wife wants to get one, but it's quite a bit of cash. curious of anyone's experience...

We got a memory foam mattress pad that is two inches think. We really love it. The catch is it needed to be aired out for about a week to allow the new order smell to disipate. I'd recommend putting it in a spare room where the window can be kept open to allow it to off gas. Also I kind of wish we had gotten a 3" thick pad instead of a 2" pad.

I think you will find a mattress pad will do wonders for making a more comfortable bed without the expense of a full mattress. Just make sure to get a good mattress cover to put over the pad to protect it. I'm sleeping so much better now that I got one and my limbs to "fall asleep" as often due to pressure on nerves for blood vessels.

I found that for a queen sized bed, memory foam mattress pads cost about $100 per inch of thickness. Well worth the money in my book if you don't sleep well or wake up with back or joint pain.
    Ken Barbalace - EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Environmental Careers, Blog)
    InternetSAR.org: Volunteers Assisting Search and Rescue via the Internet
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

There is no such thing as "memory foam" Or if there is then the foam forgets after 6 months.

I would just get a normal mattress with a pillow top, you can add another top pad like Ken suggests if you need to.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about long term memory foam mattress usage (We got a new mattress 6 months ago so I went through all the research then). What brand is it?
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

we've looked at several, as well as traditional mattresses. the foam were Nasa, Tempurpedic and one other but i don't have my notes with me. i was just wondering about them. they are all over the place, media wise, but i don't know anything about them and don't know anyone that ever bought one.

Website Developer
    Foam or no foam I am really in need of a new mattress. Ever since the last time I moved I'm sleeping at a slight incline on a 20 year old mattress with bumps everywhere. Oh well, the cost of investing 100% of your earnings
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    There is no such thing as "memory foam" Or if there is then the foam forgets after 6 months.
    I think what is meant by "memory foam" is short term memory where the foam holds its shape for a short period of time after the pressure is released.

I don't know that I could justify spending the big bucks for a full mattress, but adding the padding to our existing mattress did make a big difference in my sleep.
    My Firefox Theme Classic Compact: Based onFirefox's classic theme but uses much less window space

Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    I don't know that I could justify spending the big bucks for a full mattress, but adding the padding to our existing mattress did make a big difference in my sleep.
    that's kinda where we're at. the upper lines (Nasa Bed, Tempurpedic, Seely Posturpedic) are running around $1400 and up. but we did see some traditional mattresses that were well over $2000, even above $3000. we're hoping we can find a good mattress for around $500-700.

we did find a Seely at Sam's Warehouse, of all places, for less then half of what the Seely store wanted for it (I think, need to check again and make sure of the model). but for some reason, I'm leary of buying it at Sam's. I have this weird Walmart aversion thing. I know they have good prices, but so much of their stuff is total crap. I'm wondering if the mattresses that Sam's carries are seconds or something.

You do realize that Sam's Warehouse and Walmart are the same company?

Maybe that's why he said: "I'm leary of buying it at Sam's. I have this weird Walmart aversion thing."?
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

Site Contributor
    I have a pillowtop mattress. It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB
    Maybe that's why he said: "I'm leary of buying it at Sam's. I have this weird Walmart aversion thing."?
    I mis read his post. I thought he said he liked to buy from Sams because he had an adversion to Walmart. So much for reading well first thing in the morning. D'oh!

Haha Early morning posting rocks
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

just in case anyone is interested, ended up with a pillow-top mattress from denver mattress. had it about a month now and so far it has helped the wife to sleep better. her joint pain is gone. i'm sleeping about the same as before, but i wasn't really having problems. although, the pillow i got from them was great.

Well, not that it'll help now, but I've tried simple egg-crate type pads, a feather bed top, a relatively high-end pillow top, and a memory foam top. The best and longest-lasting, IMHO, has been the memory foam top. The other ones just lost their shape too quickly or didn't really provide much support.

I haven't tried any full-blown memory foam mattresses, but I'm quite content with this setup, and would be reluctant to spend the two grand they want for one.

The one complaint that I can think of is that they don't breathe well, so they can retain heat longer than the other types.
    Last edited by Erin; 04-14-2006 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    They tear wayyyyyy hella easy. So I don't really think it's the best material for a *bed*