Thread: PunBB?

PunBB?

Anyone use it for your forum? How is it? Secure?

I'm thinking of using it just because it's free. A site I will be developing is going to have a forum (which wont be the main idea of the site, just an addition). So I don't nessessarily want to spend a lot buying vB license, etc.

I see that textpattern is using the new version of PunBB as their forum software and it looks very nice to say the least. Its here: http://forum.textpattern.com

Registered

Thumbs up

It is a great package for sure, it is not a resource hog either

It is open source too and free right

I will use it, go with it!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's free. I've not been able to find anything saying it isn't free...

Thanks

I like it a lot for a simple, light-weight forum. If you don't need anything fancy, it's great. Easy to skin, fast, simple. And moderation contols are actually pretty good, considering how simple the forum is. I currently use it on one site, and have used it for a few others in the past.

There are plugins for things like PMs, etc. But if you want to start getting into that sort of stuff, look into a vB license.

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's free. I've not been able to find anything saying it isn't free...

Thanks
    Yes, it is released under the GPL.

EDIT: It is capable of handling some pretty large forums. A list of the largest PunBB's out there: http://punbbig.shacknet.nu/index.php?page=all

for all of the free ones out there, this would be my choice.

Looks Nice! You're right...that's a huge forum Josh.

Looks like it'd deffinitely suit my needs!