Thread: Time Management: How much time daily?

Registered

Time Management: How much time daily?

Just out of curiosity, I've got a couple of questions for the rest of you in terms of time management.

1) how much time to you all spend on your sites daily?
    2) If not time, what is your personal bottle neck?
    3) If you've gone full time to web publishing, how did you make the transition?

Time is by far my most limiting factor to getting where I want to be with my websites. I got into website publishing a couple of years ago when I started my first forum, www.SportsCardForum.com. I was just married and had a decent amount of time.

After a few years, even with a good staff I was basically forced to hand the reigns over to a new owner just because it was taking several hours a day to keep things on the up and up which was too much with a full time job. Things haven't gotten any better now that I have a 6 month old either (not that I am at all complaining).

I generally have maybe an hour a day now which is making me focus on a few core projects (probably a good thing).

I have a good day job but my end goal is to publish sites full time. I feel like I'm taking the risk free path to running my own business. When I make at least 1.5 times what I make at my day job I'll go full time. I make in the low $xxxx on my sites now per month but raises at my day job aren't making it any easier (still not complaining)

I know a lot of this crowd have been successful going fulltime and I'm open to any advice or experiences on how to get there.
    Last edited by BGray; 03-05-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Website Developer
    1) Roughly 10-12 hours, 7 days a week, with the occasional half day
    3) Just quit my job and started working full time, I was still in college so it wasn't that bad.

edit: for #2 I spend too much time on forums like this
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    Thanks for the reply Cutter.

I think there are a lot of people in your boat that got started in high school or college. It's amazing to see how successful some of these folks are in their early teens. Definitely making good use of their time IMO.

Website Developer
    Its easier to start when you are younger and don't have big financial obligations to deal with month to month. All but one of the successful entrepreneurs I know dropped out of college to work on their businesses; and this includes guys pre-dating the commercial internet days.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Sure, the further you are into a 'job' culture, earning more and/or with more family commitments, the harder it is to change tack and go full time on something that isnt bringing in as much, even if there is greater long term potential

Roughly 1-3 hours daily, dependening if i have a test or term paper due.

Geez, I wish I could work 10-12 hours a day on my sites. In fact, I wish I had the motivation to work just two hours a day. At the moment I just don't seem to be getting anything done
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I think i spend something like 5-7 hours a day on my websites. I try to avoid working on them in the weekends, because i think it' good if you can just take your mind of your work for a couple of days and start monday with a fresh mind. But since i really enjoy working on them that can be a little hard.

Motivation has never really been a big issue for me, i now what i want to get through these website and that though really keeps me going. It's more that there are other things that i need or want to do. When i started working on my projects i worked 5 days a week on them, but then i slowely started to run out of money. So I got a other job for 2 days a week, which is all i need at the moment. The downside was that i took 2 days away from the 5 days i could work on my websites, although there was no other option, i really hated it.

Another thing that takes a lot of my time is sports, i used do it 3 times a week in the morning, but the mornings are usually the time when i'm really productive and just get things done really quickly. Last month it got me thinking because i became more frustrated that i had so little time to work on my projects.

So i decided to sport in the evening instead of during the morning, which makes sense since by the end of the day i was already tired and not really able to be really productive behind my computer. I was suprised that i took so long before i figured it out, just rearange your daily schedule and you get a lot more done during the day.

Overall I spend about 2 hours a day on my website alone, but I spend at least 8 working on the computer total. Most of this is time spent working on client projects.

Plus I got to school and maintain good grades. It all pays off in the end.