Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vbseo - is it worth it?

Junior Registered
    I've used vbseo on a few of sites.

Bear in mind that it uses mod_rewrite which can be very server intensive. The cost of using vbseo is not really the initial purchase but the upgrade you'll need to do to your server. With 200 or so users online an entry level dedicated server will start to struggle and combine this with the extra spiders (particularly slurp) who are taking pages more quickly becuase of the non .php urls and the problems get worse.

I believe them when they say that the new URLs probably result in higher rankings but you need to weigh this against needing to upgrade your server.

For a smaller site, I would recommend using vbseo as the load increase will be minimal and the higher rankings will allow your forum to grow more quickly.

For sites with lots of users online (200 or so) and lots of posts (meaning more spiders) you'll need to weigh up how much you need increased rankings and whether you'll need a new server.

Chris

Junior Registered
    Regarding the archive. I would think carefully about removing the archive before you do it. I'm not entirely convinced you would suffer duplicate content penalties as a) it's on your own site and b) the content is presented in a very different way (i.e. no pages, no nav, etc).

Don't remove the archive if you want higher rankings for the archive pages and have a good way of monetizing them - i.e. you want search engine visitors for their ad views rather than for the possiblity of making them new members.

In summary, I would say the archive pages will achieve slightly higher rankings than your normal pages but people visiting them are less likely to post, register, etc. You can use the archive pages to serve more prominent ads than you would on your normal forum pages.

Registered

Exclamation

It may be alright, but I would listen to what Chris mentioned about URL integrity

I know forums that do real good without it......

Ive used vbseo on multiple sites and here is my 2 cents. VBseo is probally great for smaller sites but big sites where viral marketing / word of mouth overpowers seo rankings i dont think vbseo is needed at all. For my future sites im going to save my money and using it for promoting and branding.

Your money is better spend getting custom hacks done or advertising on adwords, as well as picking up some gallery software.

Registered
    I was just looking at starting up a new community site and getting this. I noticed there's a free alternative script to this in the vbulletin.org forums, I hear its not as flexible but then again it's free

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I wouldn't worry about it for the reasons stated in my VB optimization article.
    I can't seem to locate this article everyone is talking about. Help?

Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by s2kinteg916
    ... as well as picking up some gallery software.
    I bought PhotoPost as a gallery because it claimed to be "integrated" with VB. It's true it uses the same login, but after that things seemed much less tightly coupled

Even though I am not a coder the VB code seems really mature by comparison. Is there a better answer to incorporating pictures into your vb forum?

I think the fact that they charge $150.00 for the product is arrogant.
    It really grinds my gears.

I heard somewhere that installing the vewrite hack from VB.org is just as affective.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I bought PhotoPost as a gallery because it claimed to be "integrated" with VB. It's true it uses the same login, but after that things seemed much less tightly coupled

Even though I am not a coder the VB code seems really mature by comparison. Is there a better answer to incorporating pictures into your vb forum?
    IF it was an older version try a new one, their integration is much smoother now.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives