Thread: Do you tell anyone the domains you own?

Do you tell anyone the domains you own?

I've asked for a couple of appraisals with a few names I've recently purchased, but these names are not really ones that I feel are my "best" in my small domain portfolio. Do you normally announce, say on a blog post some of the domains you own, or is mum the word here for fear of someone taking your idea?

Website Developer
    Well, if you want to sell them you don't necesarily have to let people know who you are. If you want to sell domains I'd put them up on sedo.com or something similar. If you have a developed website thats pulling in good money you might want to be a little quieter about it and approach individuals who are known to buy websites regularly.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

I do think that the number of people simply going around ripping off other people's ideas has increased as more people become aware of programs like Adsense and how much you can make being a website publisher.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Website Developer
    Thus the reason I never put my sites in my site. I think when sites are small its not a good idea to broadcast them. However, when your site gets big like your online-literature, or shoemoney's ringtone site, anyone ripping you off basically has years of work ahead of them.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Thanks. Kinda what I figured.

So would your advice to be to take the kentuckygolfing post down off of my portfolio site? I've kinda made the homepage into a semi-blog if you will and made a post about an upcoming golf site...I don't imagine anyone reads my site that would consider competing with me, but you never know. My site's traffic comes mainly from this forum and sitepoint...so it's unknown more or less. lol

Go Gray Charles! CreationNation's Avatar
    I was struggling with this lately, not for selling but for developing. MarkB and I are developing a network and we are going to create a blog to have a bit of Reality Web thing going on, documenting the process from brainstorm to build-up. I'd love to list all the domains we have but I don't want anyone stealing ideas etc. so that kinda stinks. We have about 50-70 once everything is said and done, but obviously we are going to do this one at a time (or a couple being parallel developed on the same platform). There's some sneaky people these days!

I do tell people my domain names, mostly because they are really names that nobody knows a lot about. Like http://www.muttie.com and http://www.tanru.com, nobody could guess what I would develop those into

The only people who i tell my domain names are close friends of mine. One of the reasons is that almost all of the domain names that i own clearly tell where the site is about, and many of them haven't been developed yet.

Junior Registered
    If you're planning to develop, no ... don't tell anyone except a few friends, unless you ask for ideas and advice - if the names are for sale ... definitely, tell people "you might own the names and they could be for sale "
    Help Mike Dammann win the seo contest and he will love you long time!