Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first content site. Reviews please!

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    http://www.websitepublisher.net/foru...ad.php?p=39024
    Here's his thread posting the results.

Dural, it's amazing how fast you've made this bloody thing grow; I'm assuming that the primary reason for that would have to be that you've come into web publishing after real estate, and thus are more used to business on the street and are under the (correct) impression that getting traffic online is the same as getting people to look at your product offline and you have none of the mental blockages that people like me that grew up on webmaster forums and websites inherently have.

Congratulations on a great site.
    I'd say that it may be a good idea to have a logo for branding, as I can only imagine that this website will get very large and very prominent very quickly, and you may want to do something in the future such as holding contests with T-Shirts as the prizes, etc.

Registered
    James,

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, I think it's growing pretty quick. I'm averaging over 100 uniques per day. Most of those are repeat visitors now. Not bad for the first week.

I suppose you could attribute the quick start up to my business experience, but there's also a lot of preparation that went into my launch. I worked for two months on developing content and promotional strategies before inviting the first visitor.

I also spend 2-3 hours per day answering questions on forums and passing out links to my site

Everyone keeps telling me I need a logo. I don't see how it will have that much impact, but I might as well do it. It won't cost much.

Tell me, what's a reasonable timeframe for a site to show up in Google? I'm getting spidered everyday, but can't seem to find my site. Also, only about half of my pages have been spidered.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    I'd suggest that you don't necessarily need a textual logo, but I'd suggest a unique, identifiable, simple and easily resizable graphical logo

Websites getting crawled by Google usually takes me a week or two; however, this can really vary sometimes. Your website's already been spidered and is getting lots of inbound links, so it'll likely be up in the results for some terms like 'real estate landlording article.' However, this is a really competitive niche; for most of the terms I tried after using http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/kwda.cgi on your site I saw some pretty high numbers for results.