Thread: Accessing Docs from Network

Junior Registered

Accessing Docs from Network

We have a network location that contains thousands of how-to documents. What I am trying to do is create an intranet site that, when loaded, can auto populate and list all the files in that directory and make them available to open and search. I have little experience with this and am looking for some help. What is the best program to use to do this and how exactly is it done. Thank you in advance for any help!

You can do this using PHP. Take a look at this:

http://au3.php.net/dir

If you're not a programmer, or don't have PHP experience you might run into trouble with this. I am not aware of a pre-written script that does it.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    A very simple way to do this would be to turn on directory listings in your web server's settings. This would make it so that if a user goes to the URL of the directory containing all of your files they would simply get a list of all files in that directory and be able to click on each one to open it. You want to make sure that you only allow them to view directory listings for the docs directory or you could run into security problems. If a user wants to search, they could use their web browser's search function.

If you're using Apache, here's a good article on how to customize the directory listings to meet your needs: http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/1131431 .

4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by dpmmedia
    You can do this using PHP. Take a look at this:

http://au3.php.net/dir

If you're not a programmer, or don't have PHP experience you might run into trouble with this. I am not aware of a pre-written script that does it.
    I`ve used php for showing images like this it's not to hard just a simple loop. I`m sure you could post on www.elance.com and get it for $100 or less.