Thread: Nice to see our hard work is at least making some people rich :)

Nice to see our hard work is at least making some people rich :)

Google announce soaring profits:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4362490.stm

there is an old saying that "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer"

Gimme Fries with that!
    preach brotha preach

My referrals from google have gone up to about 6:1 against yahoo.

For the long term I think yahoo has much better prospects than google because of the massive amount of content it has. I already play chess and listen to music at yahoo, now I am buying domains there, and there seems to be more coming every day as they enter into strategic alliances across different fields.

MS meanwhile doesn't seem to know what to do ... falling behind in both search and content. In Australia it is too closely identified with one of our television stations and publishing houses (it is called ninemsn), and this is a real turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    "...the poor get poorer"
    Only because they sit there whining about how poor they are, and how the rich people have it so lucky... Anyone in the civilized can be rich if they really want to. Most people don't want it enough, so they're happy moaning. We're the people who are doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2
    Anyone in the civilized can be rich if they really want to.
    This is not quite true because there can only be a limited number of entrepreneurs in a capitalist society, so if 'everyone' really wanted to be rich then this just could not happen.

I agree with the general sentiment of your post though. Although there are structural inequalities that give some people an advantage over others, I see people sitting around moaning all the time. I was out on a jetty a while ago and a fellow who knew exactly what he was doing was catching lots of fish and some teenagers who had no idea what they were doing weren't catching any, but their approach to the problem was not to look and learn and put some effort into it, instead they just moaned "it's not fair" and "why should you be catching all the fish?". I think they are taught this kind of thinking in school.

<edit> but I also agree that the rich get richer, although this seems to be a fact rather than an opinion as the income and asset gap between the rich and the not rich in the West continues to grow and starts to resemble the social and economic structure of India </edit>
    Last edited by LuckyShima; 10-20-2005 at 05:01 PM.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    This is not quite true because there can only be a limited number of entrepreneurs in a capitalist society, so if 'everyone' really wanted to be rich then this just could not happen.
    He said ANYONE, and well, that's true. Any one person can become rich if they put their mind to it. Not everyone at the same time--that's just funamentally flawed, and not what he said at all.

I think they are taught this kind of thinking in school.
    They're brought up this way. It's the parents.

I didn't use to mind the concept of Google getting money, but right now I'm a bit mad at them for ruining their search engine.

Only because they sit there whining about how poor they are, and how the rich people have it so lucky... Anyone in the civilized can be rich if they really want to. Most people don't want it enough, so they're happy moaning. We're the people who are doing something about it.

Yeah. I'll agree with that. I'm still on the poor end of the spectrum now so I guess I'm with the "moaners". Hopefully I can change that with the info I've gained from this site.

I want yahoo to come out soon, because google is just screwing with me now, it was good before now my earnings have dropped to 3c per click

Quote Originally Posted by James
    He said ANYONE, and well, that's true.
    Indeed - I did actually put 'everyone' first, but changed it as I thought it was probably not quite true.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyShima
    I think they are taught this kind of thinking in school.
    I think it is school, home, everywhere - when kids are surrounded by attitudes of 'the rich get richer', and 'the rich just got lucky' etc, you can't really blame them too much for having similar attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    I'm still on the poor end of the spectrum now so I guess I'm with the "moaners".
    Your not a moaner though, you are doing something about it - I'm sure that you will be rich if you keep at it and don't 'give up'.

4x4
    Ding ding ding

Here's a bit more interesting stuff on Google:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4362974.stm

Interesting article, although not very well-researched.

About Adwords:

Click on one of them and the Google cash register rings, to the tune of about 50 US cents a click say analysts, although some keywords are much more expensive.
    What, even the ones paying just $0.05 a click?
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog