Thread: What programming language?

What programming language?

Okay, so I've got a couple PHP books and can do a few very basic things with PHP.

I'm looking to start getting more into programming so I can balance out my abilities and not have to rely on others for server side work.

What in your opinion if you could only learn one language which one would it be and why?

PHP. Because its by far the most popular for server-side coding. Just look on hotscripts.com, there are four times as many php scripts than there are for any other language. Its popular because its the best.

PHP without a doubt. Its easy to learn, fast and powerful. It runs in an open source environment. Linux is free, mySQL is free, Apache is free...you get the picture! Most scripts you'll find for sale are written in PHP.

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward PHP since I already do know a little. I was just wondering though if it can do the same type of stuff and do it as well as say Java, Ruby, or something else like it?

I know a lot of people are starting to get more into Java and it seems like you can do amazing things with it, but I also know its more difficult to learn than PHP. I've heard Ruby is amazing and its also not terribly difficult to learn?

I think if you were needing to use Java, you would probably be familiar with PHP anyway. I've only done some Java, but I dont think you'd use it for the things you would normally use PHP for.

Not heard of Ruby.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    PHP is a server-side scripting language that you would use to put dynamic features into your webpages such as visitor counters, voting, allowing visitors to post comments, etc. As an example, this forum we're posting to right now was written in PHP.

Java is a language used for writing applications to run on a local computer. As an example, someone could write a web browser application or a word processor application using Java.

I recommend that if you're interested in building dynamic webpages you start out with PHP, and if you're interested in writing application programs you start out with C or Java.

The syntax used in all three languages (PHP, C, and Java)is somewhat similar, so once you've learned one you'll have an easier time learning the others if you ever decide to.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Westech
    PHP is a server-side scripting language that you would use to put dynamic features into your webpages such as visitor counters, voting, allowing visitors to post comments, etc. As an example, this forum we're posting to right now was written in PHP.

Java is a language used for writing applications to run on a local computer. As an example, someone could write a web browser application or a word processor application using Java.

I recommend that if you're interested in building dynamic webpages you start out with PHP, and if you're interested in writing application programs you start out with C or Java.

The syntax used in all three languages (PHP, C, and Java)is somewhat similar, so once you've learned one you'll have an easier time learning the others if you ever decide to.

Good luck!
    I just know like for example www.good-tutorials.com is powered by Java. But I guess you can do a lot of the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    I just know like for example www.good-tutorials.com is powered by Java. But I guess you can do a lot of the same stuff.
    Yeah the stuff I did, we wrote an normal Windows application, then made a few small adjustments to turn it into a web application that runs from a web page.

I wouldnt worry about Java though - PHP will be far far more useful.
    Last edited by r2d2; 10-04-2005 at 03:52 PM.

I wouldn't worry about Java though - PHP will be far far more useful.
    PHP 4 is a toy compared to Java but PHP 5 evens the divide a little bit.

That said, it matters what you are trying to accomplish. If you are making a blog or a more simple web site you will be totally fine with PHP.

Sites like UPS, eBay, VISA are all run on Java.

These guys at Sitepoint know much more about it then I do, read this rather long thread and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by moonshield; 10-04-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshield
    PHP 4 is a toy compared to Java but PHP 5 evens the divide a little bit.

That said, it matters what you are trying to accomplish. If you are making a blog or a more simple web site you will be totally fine with PHP.

Sites like UPS, eBay, VISA are all run on Java.

These guys at Sitepoint know much more about it then I do, read this rather long thread and decide for yourself.

yeah I frequent SitePoint every day and have ready quite a few threads about Java, which is why I'm kinda interested in it.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Are you talking about Java Server Pages (JSP)? JSP is a server-side technology that does the same things as php but using the Java language. I think that if you want to get started making useful working pages as quickly as possible then php is the way to go. If you ever get to the point where you want to do things that php can't do then maybe look into JSP. PHP should be easier to get started with, and will give you a good foundation if you ever want to move over to jsp.

Quote Originally Posted by Westech
    Are you talking about Java Server Pages (JSP)? JSP is a server-side technology that does the same things as php but using the Java language. I think that if you want to get started making useful working pages as quickly as possible then php is the way to go. If you ever get to the point where you want to do things that php can't do then maybe look into JSP. PHP should be easier to get started with, and will give you a good foundation if you ever want to move over to jsp.
    Ummmm...I don't know. I think I'm just talking about Java, but I'm so new with programming sometimes I don't even know what I mean! lol.

I think you're right about PHP...I need to keep telling myself "baby steps". I can't learn everything all at once no matter how much I want to. Get a good foundation of PHP and then move on later if need be.

Yes, PHP is definitely where you should start from - move onto to Java/JSP if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2
    Yes, PHP is definitely where you should start from - move onto to Java/JSP if you need to.
    Definately. Because PHP is so easy to learn and is not as "strict" in syntax as other more complex languages, it's a perfect start. You'll probably find that it will be suitable for pretty much anything you need to do (for now anyways)

For me Asp.NET , c# and MySQL