Thread: Initial temporary indexing

Initial temporary indexing

I was just checking my logs on my site (only just gone live) and noticed that it's suddenly getting a few visitors. I then find they're coming from google.

I submitted my site to google about a week ago and guess google's given it a temporary listing. It's ranked on page 3 for my primary keyword and doesn't yet have any PR (as you would expect, I guess).

I was just wondering how much you can read into these initial temporary listings? Can you tell anything from them about where you're likely to rank once you get the final listing? How do google work out where to list your site at all, in this instance?

I was surprised to see my site listed at all, considering only my index page has been crawled.

anyone have any ideas? Or is this the "unknown"

Resident smart a$$
    This is now normal for Google (ranking new sites/pages within a few days of going live).

You may find your page drops back down once its Fresh status on Google becomes older (over a week or so) then it should jump back up after the next PageRank / backlink update.

am seeing Google PR and backlink updates today - so give it between 4 - 6 weeks (until the next update) for your sites true rank to be reflected.
    Last edited by Best.Flash; 02-27-2004 at 12:13 AM.

Do you have any idea how google work out where to rank a "fresh" site? Does it have any indication on where the final ranking will be?

Resident smart a$$
    We'd all love to know that

To give you something to go on - I redesigned my Flash resource site a couple of months ago and added a new section, Pixel fonts.

Before the latest update the main Pixel fonts page was ranking around 30 - 40 or that term. Over the last few days (and assuming the PR update has kicked in) its now ranking in the top 10.

The same applies for other new pages I've added - started of with a 50-100 ranking when they where first added to Google and jumped up to top 10 - 20 ranking with the latest update.

Well. I hope that my site will move up the rankings too Looking at the competition and the state of my SEO, I'm hoping it will rank #1. Just have to wait and see I guess.