Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Million Dollar Home Page

Million Dollar Home Page

Anyone seen this: http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/ Check out the "press" section for quick info.

I'm surprised people are paying so much for such small amounts of space - especially based on his traffic (less than 1k uniques a day). All credit to the guy though! He's made a lot already. It'll probably slow down from here on in though as press coverage dies down.

Website Developer
    I think he is the only winner here; I suppose in theory there could be some advantage in having a link on the site simply because of all the incoming links it has. Now I'm suprised GoldenPalace hasn't just bought the whole thing already..
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Yes, I think he will be the only winner, and fair play to him for dreaming it up, and making it happen.

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    I saw this 2 or 3 days ago and there must be 4 or 5 times as much space sold now as there was then.

(Is that a crasy monkey in the top - perhaps Westech can tell us if it is a worthwhile place to advertise?)

I saw that a week or so ago; great idea, and I think for the people who're paying to be part of it, it's more an excercise in supporting nutty ideas. That kinda thing's been missing on the web for too long
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

First time i've seen this. Wish I thought of it.
    New website released. ya rly!

I've seen some others trying similar things (mainly just 'Send me $1, just for the sake of it!' - that guy's made $2 in a month. Ha!), but not with the style this guy shows.

It sure is filling up. Last time I looked he said he made $10,000 a day for two days running and fell asleep at his desk.

Here is a copy, not sure if this one has caught any suckers yet:

http://www.milliondollarwebpage.com/

There's no point in releasing exactly the same thing. I'm surprised that copy-cat site has made any money at all. The only reason the original site done so well is because, well, it's an original idea and it got a lot of press coverage.

Now I'm waiting for someone to take the idea a step further somehow. Perhaps having 10 100k pixel grids each representing a different industry sector or something

Registered
    Very nice idea. I envy that guy.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Cat Buxton
    (Is that a crasy monkey in the top - perhaps Westech can tell us if it is a worthwhile place to advertise?)
    Yes, that's a crazy monkey at the top. Good eyes.

It's sending me a good bit of traffic, but certainly not enough to return my investment through the direct clickthroughs. I didn't really expect it to. I do think it's good for increasing awareness of my brand, and I'm hoping that a lot of the people who click through will become return visitors to my site.

Also, like Mark said, I like to support nutty ideas. I think that this type of advertising is really cool. There's a whole different strategy to consider when you're competing with so many other ads for the users' attention and you have so little space to work with:

How many "blocks" to buy?

What colors to use?

Where on the page should the ad be for maximum effectiveness at the beginning when the whole page is relatively empty?

How about torwards the end when the page is full?

I just really love the idea of trying to grab the someone's attention and get them to click using only a 10x10 or 40x40 space when you're surrounded by tons of other ads trying to do the same thing.

On another note, since placing the ad I've received 3 emails through the contact form on my site asking me to advertise on other copy-cat sites. I won't give them any free publicity by linking to them here. I guess they figure that that page is a free directory of suckers to market to. They may be right, but at least come up with something halfway original first!

Nice one! I'm thinking of getting a single block myself - if he does indeed keep it there for however long he's promised, then $100 isn't much. Especially since it should remain an indexed page. *shrug*

Wow, $149,400 sold! Major increase since the last time I looked. This guy must be loving this! He'll be able to buy a small house or flat soon and cross rent off his student expenses. haha

Yeah. Man, I hate that guy...

Every time I go back and look at the page there are more blocks filled, it's amazing how much some sites are spending.