Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: college + work = rough

college + work = rough

Just started college today, for the first time. Went from 9 - 3:15, then worked from 4-11. This leaves me wondering, "what about my sites?" I hope they don't suffer because I can't devote as much time to them. On the plus side, I have tomorrow where I get out at 10:50 and thursday where I get out at 9:50, but I also have to catch up on homework on those days. I better make a crap load of money when I get outta this in 4 years.
    Strangest-Facts
    Domains for Sale (PM me with offers)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

That is alot of work for going to college, 7 hours in a day is nearly full time.

Where you going?
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

What r u doin at college?

Website Developer
    You need to make your sites your job as soon as possible. I'm in college right now; I spent all of the summer before last summer working a part time job & building my first sites. This past summer I worked on my sites full time & I had time to do other things I wanted.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Im going to Central Michigan University for Electrical Engineering. I'm trying to get them to cut me back to three days a week at work so I have time to study and whatnot. They are making me a manager soon though so I will have a little more say in my schedule. Its a family owned pizza place so its not like a McDonald's where there are tons of workers to pick up the hours. I worked on my sites a lot this summer but not enough, my plan is to try to make them my job by next summer, even though my dad won't support it. I still live at home which is a big break money wise so I need to tread lightly with this website stuff around my dad because he is one of those people who believe you can't make money with websites.
    Strangest-Facts

Chronic Entrepreneur
    I feel your pain Doug. I'm currently working 40+ hour weeks, taking 6 hours per semester of graduate courses, and also trying to balance my family life and household chores with running my websites and small hosting business.

I guess I don't really have any advice to give except to work as efficiently as you can and you'll be amazed at how much you can get done. I found that during the time that I was "working on my sites" I actually was spending the majority of that time reading and posting on forums and chatting on IM. Once I realized this I was able to focus a certain amount of time per day on my sites, and then any spare time I had left over could be used for the fun stuff.

I was also amazed at the amount of TV I was watching. Cut that down to just 1 or 2 shows per week that you really like and you'll suddenly have a lot more site building time.

even though my dad won't support it. I still live at home which is a big break money wise so I need to tread lightly with this website stuff around my dad because he is one of those people who believe you can't make money with websites.
    My wife, before we were married but when we were living together, once broke down and had a little panic attack about what if she got pregnant and would I get a real job, how could I support a family? She basically thought I was a bum who played too many video games and who had a "kramerific" scheme to get rich on the Internet. I kept telling her it'd pay off one day.

People really don't start believing you until you start getting checks. Every once in a while I look at my wife and say "Remember when you thought I was a bum?" She is never going to live that down. But hey, atleast I know she didn't marry me for my money.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I am going to college full time, have 2 part time jobs, and have to almost full time businesses. Might be a little tough?

4x4
    It will pay off in the end, even if you can only dedicate 30minutes to 1hr a day for your sites it's better than 0.

Website Developer
    Running your own business, if done right, will always pay off more than being an employee or getting a college degree. Take it seriously and make it a top priority in your life.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

I would really like to run my own business someday actually but I want the degree to fall back on. I try to dedicate at least 20 minutes a night to the sites. There will be days like today where I get lucky and have quite a bit of time, but it wasn't all spent on the internet working on the sites. It wasn't spend screwing around either though, I had to fix my car. It seems like there is always stuff like that comming up.
    Strangest-Facts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    People really don't start believing you until you start getting checks.
    ... and even then some people just don't get it. I know someone that's pulling in nearly $80,000 a month pre-tax profit. Aparently his family still don't think he has a proper job It's because it's so easy to take a lot of time off and people don't think it's possible to earn money when you're not working.

I'm lucky - my wife more than understands what is possible, and is eager for me to succeed so she can live in the luxury to which she'd like to become accustomed
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

heh, indeed. I am currently doing college right now and I have more than enough time for sites, though I do make sites for my job. Your schedule is much more difficult then mine..

mine is 10:00-10:50 12:00- 2:00 on MWF and 11:00 - 12:20 on Tuesday and Thursday. I also have a 6:30 - 9:25 class on Monday. Pretty nice schedule for a freshman I suppose.
    Last edited by moonshield; 08-31-2005 at 07:50 AM.