Thread: Post exchange to get forum going

Post exchange to get forum going

I'm looking for forum post exchange partner(s). I have the following four forums:

Education
    Health
    Finance and Accounting
    Movies

You can post in any forum. You can post in more than one, if you'd like. I'll do my part, but there are subjects that I'm not too familiar with, so please post a reply here or PM me if anyone's interested.

Gimme Fries with that!
    somewhat off topic but does this work ? I would think that doing some forum cross linking would be more effective. Just asking, have no idea.

Linking is great, but when you get people to visit your forum and they find no posts, they're not likely to join up and start posting. You know, chicken/egg thing.

Gimme Fries with that!
    true.. but i cant see the posts being at all good.

I dont read forums that have spam all over em. I read forums with active and relevant discussion.. not people just posting to up the post count.. and you can tell especially depending on the topic.

If you're not interested, why are you posting to the thread?

That is a good goal down the line Emancipator, but any post, even only a moderately useful one, will help get a forum going.

Its typical to just make multiple usernames and talk to yourself to get one going.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Chronic Entrepreneur
    That's a very good point, Chris/Incka/r2d2/Chromate/MarkB/Westech!

Gimme Fries with that!
    Peter little news flash for you this is a forum for discussion. Dont go crapping on me because you didnt read my post... I made it quite clear my post was a bit off topic and the poster had the opportunity to reply and discuss or ignore my post.

I was looking to get feedback from the poster on whether it works instead you replied to me... and now you seem fit to jump on me.

Chris: Interesting points.. I never thought that people might use different names to post... I know westech has many names but thats usually what we call him behind his back

Seems to me this is the marketplace section, and you were the one doing the crapping.

Gimme Fries with that!
    I asked a question. I am not some little kid who posts to see my post count go up. I was looking for an answer similar to what Chris posted. Sitepoint has the choice to ignore me if he doesnt want people discussing his post.

I have no idea if its effective, sitepoint obviously does since they are posting asking for cross-posts. I at no time crapped on anyone, I defended my position against the attack at me.

I asked how well it works because I am curious... If you read my post as "crapping on people" somehow thats fine.. I think everyone can judge for themselves. I have been here awhile and dont make it a habit to attack people. I ask questions to learn because I am not above learning something new.

And now yes... it is seriously offtopic and I apologize to the sitepointrefuge for that. The intent of my post was obviously missed and has ended in a flame war. Ended because I wont ruin the thread further by keeping the flames going... good luck with it sitepoint and thanks for the answer chris.. makes perfectly good sense to me.
    Last edited by Emancipator; 08-04-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Typo correction.

Where was the question in here?

true.. but i cant see the posts being at all good.

I dont read forums that have spam all over em. I read forums with active and relevant discussion.. not people just posting to up the post count.. and you can tell especially depending on the topic.
    I answered your question, you replied with the above quote. You accuse post exchanges of being no good, spam, posting to up the post count, etc. How could anyone think that's anything other than a post crap?

Once upon a time there was a non-conforming sparrow who decided to fly south for the winter. However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started to fly south.
    In a short time ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a barnyard, almost frozen. A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end. But, the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then a large cat came by and hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds. The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping bird and promptly ate him.
    The moral of the story:
    1. Everyone who craps on you is not necessarily your enemy.
    2. Everyone who gets you out of the crap, is not necessarily your friend.
    3. And, if you are warm and happy in a pile of crap, keep your mouth shut.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Haha, that's a pretty good story, and very relevant to the little 'flame war' (though I consider flame wars to be more 1: [random insult] 2:[random insult about 1's mother] 1: [random insult about 2's mother and dog] etcetera), Chris.

sitepointRefugee: How many people are you trying to get into post exchanges? Those forums seem like they've already gone past the requirement for a single frequenter to be able to help them out terribly much.