Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Says AWS is Dead?

Banned
    I see your point, why don't you have him change the layout? so it doesn't look like yours any more.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    My design is really nothing like your design.
    Oh, so who'd you steal this one off of, then?

you are young and arrogant
    Wow, understate it enough?

Please don't be so arrogant. You are brilliant and have a great future.
    Oxymoronic sentence, there.

and at first they even left in my affiliate link
    Heh

But blatant copies are just lame, especially when the owner brags about them as Sean has done in the past.
    Not to mention denying that they are blatant copies.
    Last edited by James; 08-04-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    I am old and lazy.
    Kyle

I should have said inexperienced and arrogant. That's what I really meant.
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Well, first it was two sentences and second brilliance does not contradict arrogance, so, it is not an oxymoron.

Well, I originally said 'the sentence equivalent of an oxymoron' but figured 'oxymoronic sentence' meant basically the same thing.
    And I meant in regards to him being like "you're arrogant" and in the sentence right beside it, calling him brilliant and telling him he has a great future--things that could boost the ego.

Could this be the new virtual stalker or copy cat? very veyr spooky!

Actually, I think Jesse's stalking me. It seems every forum I go to, he follows me there!! :

Perhaps if you look into it you'd find that:

A: I didn't make the design, I had it made on design outpost, they made that layout.
    B: Those buttons at the top were the design out posts people making buttons, you'll notice that some of them don't work - The site isn't finished yet.
    C: The site isn't launched yet, I'm having people add public domain books for me, some of them tend to just use literature.org and online-literature.com though, while a few use others, such as marxists.org and gutenburg.
    D: The coder made the comment box feature. I said I wanted people to be able to leave comments with their name, a subject field and let people rate the comments. The coder who happens to be on this forum obviously looked at Chris' site for inspiration about how to set it out.

By the time the site is launched hopefully over 50% of the works will be different, I've actually bought one book I couldn't find online to OCR which I feel needs to be in my library. Also the menu at the top will change. Author Index will be called E-Books. The bible link thing will be Religious Works. The shakespeare link will be removed. And there will be a few more links to extra features I'm planning for the site that Chris doesn't have on his. Also the homepage won't have the list of books on it, it will just have a few and will be more like a ezine than a list of books.

As for the survival domain, I bought that to sell on when the .infos were free, I never planned to make a site and I still don't plan to. I probably won't make a coupon site, supremeshopping is a consumer info site, which although Chris did have a stie with about 5 articles on, it wasn't a consumer info site, this site was never intended to be like Chris', and since I built it Chris has actually made a site for consumer info himself. I'm not planning on doing anything with that art-history domain, I own about 50 history related domains which I bought when loads suddenly expired. I also own wariniraq.net, world-war-2.net, queen-elizabeth.net for instance. I also have quite a lot of sites very different from Chris'. I made my first online games site in 2000, when there were not many (if any, I can't remember) archives of online games by different authors. I'm currently working on an ad network, name anyone who posts regularly in this forum that owns an ad network... I am making a music video site, lz83ny might think I am copying him, but I'm sure a few people here can remember I've owned a domain for this and being talking about doing so since late 2003, it's only in last few months I've really started getting videos though... I have a number of other projects going on which as far as I know won't compete with any of the regulars to this forum.
    Sean Spurr. Incka Media.
    £49 Link Building Service

http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/...ght=literature

You only mention my site 6 times in your design request on design outpost, in case you go back and edit it I've copied and pasted it here:

(Admin code added by Palmer - 19777520)

Company name: Classic Literature
    Company profile: To be most popular & most useful literature site and to have most literature works
    Domain name: www.classicliterature.net - May change, don't include domain in design
    What is the scope of this project?: New site
    Who is the intended audience?: Most will be college students, english speaking countries
    Mood or tone?: Library like, easy on the eye.
    Color psychology?: Either like the colors of online-literature.com, bartleby.com or a design me and a friend made a year ago which can be seen at http://www.classicliterature.net/authors/george-orwell (not menu doesn't work in firefox )
    Any dynamic elements?: No, just the design.
    Who are your main competitors?:

http://www.online-literature.com (my favourite competitor and design, probably most popular one)
    http://www.literature.org(ugly site, but very popular)
    http://www.bartleby.com (I like the colors, but not the design, and it's too thin).
    http://www.bibliomania.com/(awfully designed site, but popular)
    http://www.literaturepage.com/ (design is too simple, but its popular)

Other:

No logo - You just put the text 'Classic Literature' in the header bit.
    I want a menu bar like in online-literature.com and my example I made with a friend. The text on this should be text, not images.
    I want to use CSS if possible.
    You are designing not the homepage, but an author page, like my example or an author page on online-literature.com. I want a left menu with the authors picture, then a text menu categories like the example below. In the main section I want a text heading then some lorem ipsum below to represent the biography. I also want a 300x250 ad like on online-literature.com.
    Font - Don't use Arial or Times New Roman for the text. Use the font that is easiest to read, whichever you think this might be. I like Tahoma, but it's up to you. For the title Arial Narrow is quite good, but I bet you can find better. Make sure fonts are standard fonts. For the image header use whichever font looks best, preferablly somethng that looks booky.
    I'm not sure if this would work, but a dark wooden background for the header image might be good if you are going for a colour scheme similar to online-literature.com
    Online-literature.com contains a set of books in it's header. I think this looks good, you might want to include an object like that if you think it fits your design.
    You must make it easy for me to make a chapter/homepage thing from your work, (get rid of the author side menu).
    EDIT: I'll also add that the image of the author should be 150 pixels wide and the author side menu only slightly bigger (so there is a border).
    EDIT: There will also need to be a small bottom menu, like on the example.

Deadline: 1st February 2005, but I might extend if there is need to.

I'm wanting psd and html.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing some very good designs and making some friends along the way.

Sean Spurr,
    Managing Director,
    Incka Limited.
    So when you were 11 you made your first games site and you had plans for a literature site just like mine? Truly fascinating. What was the URL of your games site?
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Very interesting thread.

I think Sean is a good example of people copying what Chris has done because of his success; although Sean has branched out recently, he still obviously either worships Chris and basically wants to emulate him, or has no qualms about ripping* people off.

(*harsh I know, its for want of another word)

The sites I tend to stick with are those suited to my main interest: music. I have a number of AWS/datafeed sites, and also a blog network in the works. I don't think anyone else here has that. (yay me)
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

I think one of the original sites I made is still up, http://www.edenvallysean.supanet.com I think... Games2go.co.uk used to redirect to it before I built a real site.

I don't have any problems copying people, I'm sure a few people have copied ideas for my sites, it's a free market economy, while I don't like that personally I'm not gonna have any second thoughs about acting as I must in it.

I did mention your site a lot, but then if you look at things, I mentioned a few others in colour scheme - it's the design that chose to do it like yours, one of the time I mentioned yours was just to say I wanted a advert - nothing strange there...
    Sean Spurr. Incka Media.

There is a slight bit of evidence that I wanted to do an ebook site from a VERY early personal site I made here: http://www.edenvally.supanet.com/...

I also found an even older version of my games site: http://web.archive.org/web/200103051...n.supanet.com/
    and another old version: http://web.archive.org/web/200110251...ames2go.co.uk/
    Sean Spurr. Incka Media.

I did mention your site a lot, but then if you look at things, I mentioned a few others in colour scheme - it's the design that chose to do it like yours, one of the time I mentioned yours was just to say I wanted a advert - nothing strange there...
    You asked for a copy, they delivered.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I never asked for a copy.
    Sean Spurr. Incka Media.