Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Money Guide - new site

Personal Money Guide - new site

Have my new site about finished now : http://www.personalmoneyguide.co.uk/

Got to sign up with some merchants to get some ads on there - but what do you think of the site? Anything I should add? Any other suggestions / opinions?

Registered
    At 8:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time Sat. I get a site not found message. I think I am GMT -7

Gimme Fries with that!
    i like it R2.. loads fine for me. Simple and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    At 8:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time Sat. I get a site not found message. I think I am GMT -7
    Hmm, thats strange - the DNS and hosting account have been setup for a couple of weeks now, and it is hosted in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    i like it R2.. loads fine for me. Simple and to the point.
    Cool, cheers.

Registered
    It comes up fine now.

Would "taxes" be more consistent than "tax"?

Hmmm, I guess in the US it probably would be, but in the UK I think just 'Tax' would be more consistent.

Website Developer
    You might want to test out the Rich Dad affiliate program: http://www.richdad.com/pages/affiliateprogram.asp

I don't know anything about it other than whats on the site, so you would have to test it out and see how it goes. One benefit is that they have strong branding beyond the web which should make conversions a little easier.

It looks good, perhaps you may want to make a way to divide the UK from the US stuff?

With a topic like personal finance you really have infinate possibilities for expanding the site. You could add a blog (this would give you "fresh" updated pages, incoming links from other bloggers, etc.) An opt-in e-mail list would help establish the site & get visitors to return.

How is the site doing in regards to traffic, incoming links, etc? Sometimes getting the traffic can become a much bigger priority than the site itself
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

The site looks really good r2, great layout, great content, good work my man...

Aye, I like it too
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

I like it, nice n simple. This site obviously has alot of potential.

I agree with Cutter, a blog or latest news/offers would be good for updated content.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Hmm the top navigation's text is a little hard to read on the lighter gradient--have you considered switching from having the page you're on being the darker grey, to being the lighter? It would make sense, as the pages you want them to go to are more important than them seeing that they're on a certain page based on the navigation.

I like your layout for the most part, though teal and orange are a bit of an odd couple, they work pretty well together. I've got some crits, though...
    - Your slogan is tough to read over top that graph. I'd probably take away the graph's 'legend' (I think that's the right word) and put it down there.
    - Add a 1px white square to each corner of the orange boxes with arrows in the side navigation, to make them look nice and rounded. It'll make them fit better, and look more personal. You may also want to add a grey border like the navigation has, and rounded corners to the piggy bank on your homepage.
    - I'd say it'd be a good idea if you made the headers have a background similar to the navigation, just teal-erized.

Trench Warfare
    Looks good r2d2.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    You might want to test out the Rich Dad affiliate program: http://www.richdad.com/pages/affiliateprogram.asp
    Ah, nice - big fan of Rich Dad, Poor Dad so I may have to join that! Thanks for the tip.

It looks good, perhaps you may want to make a way to divide the UK from the US stuff?
    Well, its all aimed at UK really, but some of it is applicable to any country I guess. Maybe I should do a US one?

With a topic like personal finance you really have infinate possibilities for expanding the site. You could add a blog (this would give you "fresh" updated pages, incoming links from other bloggers, etc.) An opt-in e-mail list would help establish the site & get visitors to return.
    Hadnt thought about that, thats a good idea, cheers. Not sure I'm the type of writer for a blog, but maybe I should learn.

How is the site doing in regards to traffic, incoming links, etc?
    Only put online last night

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Hmm the top navigation's text is a little hard to read on the lighter gradient--have you considered switching from having the page you're on being the darker grey, to being the lighter? It would make sense, as the pages you want them to go to are more important than them seeing that they're on a certain page based on the navigation.
    Hmm, yes I might have a go at changing that round.

I like your layout for the most part, though teal and orange are a bit of an odd couple, they work pretty well together.
    This is the first template I bought, so I cant claim credit for the general design
    - Your slogan is tough to read over top that graph. I'd probably take away the graph's 'legend' (I think that's the right word) and put it down there.
    Ok, yeah, I may redo that a bit to make it clearer.

- Add a 1px white square to each corner of the orange boxes with arrows in the side navigation, to make them look nice and rounded. It'll make them fit better, and look more personal.
    Ok, I shall have a try with that.

You may also want to add a grey border like the navigation has, and rounded corners to the piggy bank on your homepage.
    - I'd say it'd be a good idea if you made the headers have a background similar to the navigation, just teal-erized.
    And those as well

Looks cool. Good work.

I started a UK financial site a while back with the intention of promoting it via PPC.

http://www.ukmoneyalert.co.uk

Only completed the credit card page though, which was the main one I wanted to promote. Not surprisingly, some of the merchants turned down my application to join their affiliate program on the basis that the site wasn't finished. Which is completely understandable

So I haven't done anything with the site yet. If you're interested in exchanging links, now or in the future, let me know.

I like it, nice layout, very professional.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives