Thread: Not Ranked But Doing Well

Registered

Not Ranked But Doing Well

I'm curious if some of you have managed to have successful sites (lots of traffic, etc.) without being ranked well (or at all) on Google. I have a couple of sites that are doing pretty well despite low ranking on Google.
    1) This first one is a private industry forum with many pages that are private and therefore not indexed by google, yet maintains a growing membership.
    2) The second one is doing really well because it has somewhat of a following among a small but dedicated group that has mostly heard about it because of a couple of other sites that are well ranked.

I'd love to hear about your sites that are successful without Google.

Website Developer
    Many of my sites do great on Yahoo and MSN, but get little traffic from Google; overall, Google still sends me the most traffic.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Seans doing good, his PR is zero but gets alot of visitors prob 40k plus a day

Registered
    The reason I bring this up is it is becoming increasingly important to find ways for a site to survive through at least the first year without worrying about Google. I'll bet most of have been bitten by the sandbox, and spent a year trying to deal with it, and I'm guessing some of you came up with some interesting methods to "stay alive".

Website Developer
    Its kind of a paradox because some of the SEO techniques that help you do great in Yahoo & MSN also penalize you on Google (such as repeating your keyword phrase too many times on a page.)
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog