Thread: Internal page pagerank

Registered

Internal page pagerank

Our site produces a lot of original content on a weekly basis. I had hoped all those internal article pages would help boost the homepages's pagerank by the fact they are all linked back to it.

However, our internal pages all have a pagerank of 0 or n/a. I know that almost all of them are at least being linked to by Google News. How can I get the pagerank of these pages up so that they positively affect the homepage?
    Co-Editor/Website Manager
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

You can only really build PR by getting links in from other sites. For example linking in your sig on here.

Are you definitely getting PR from Google News? Does it show up in the backlinks search?

Registered
    I looked in Google News and found one of our articles that is indexed there. I then did a Backwards Links search on that page in Google and it returned 0 results.

I should also note that every article on our site is linked directly to from an internal index page with pagerank of 3. And yet, each article page continues to have no pagerank.
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

Registered
    I really want to get this working, cause I noticed that some members here have successful sites that, when I checked, had no backlinks other than their own internal pages. But they still had a PR of 5 or more.

We have a very large number of articles in our database, so if I can get some pagerank on each of them, then they should provide a considerable boost to the pagerank of our homepage.
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

Alot of times your subpages get more incoming links than your homepage. So you do a backlink search on the homepage and that'll show you all the links pointing to the homepage, but they might be all internal because its the subpages that are getting the external ones.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    I did an "allinurl" search on Google and our internal article pages are not indexed.

I know our site is being crawled. How can this be?

I will note that our article have dynamic URLs in this form: article.php?articleid=500

Is there something there that could be causing this problem?

I am also curious - I went into Google News and searched for our website's name, then found an article of ours listed there. So it was indexex by Google News. But then if I search Google News for the URL of that article, I get 0 results. Does this sound right?
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

Its not allinurl: you want, its site:.

Also, you do know that the PR in the toolbar is only updated every now and then dont you? I think it has only updated once this year (around April). So if you pages have been made since then, they couldnt possibly have toolbar PR.

Registered
    I actually used "allinurl:www.jnewswire.com site:www.jnewswire.com", and none of my internal article pages were indexed.

I do realize the toolbar PR thing won't change right away, but I do want to know my pages are being indexed. I don't understand why they aren't.

Google News is picking them up. And the spider is visiting my site daily. But for some reason the internal article pages are not being taken.
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

Registered
    Hmm, actually, I did try just "site:www.jnewswire.com" and I see that some articles are in the index.

I am also a bit confused by the fact the top of the return page says Google found 574 results, but once I get to page 6 of the results, it stops. No more results past that...
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com

You may need to change your preferences to return 100 results per page - I have mine like this, and I got nearly 6 pages of results.

I put the site: link in my last post thats what you need to use. I have that type of link bookmarked for a few of my sites.

Website Developer
    Your site's link structure may also play a big role here. I changed the link structure on one of my sites about a week ago and my traffic more than doubled.

I payed a lot of attention to PR and Google indexing when I started my first site -- but now I don't really pay any attention to it -- just my traffic. Google's backlink and PR reporting is known to be inacurate. Thus, its not a very good measure of your site's progress -- traffic is really the holy grail here, not Google.

You can also try this tool to check your backlinks -- http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/ -- this will show your backlinks in the other SE as well.

I've been helping out a German company develop a website with several thousand pages (I posted about this about a few weeks ago here.) I'm helping them have their site laid out so robots can crawl everything like mad.

The real key here is interlinking. Personally, I don't think trying to send all the PR to your front page is going to help you much. Each of your articles has tons of keywords -- your front page only has a handful. Many times all these other keyword phrases add up to multiples of traffic of the "one" big keyphrase.

Honestly, your backlinks from other sites are looking pretty good to me.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    Cutter, thanks for your detailed reply. I will look into my link structure some more. At the moment, the homepage is linked to a category index, which is linked to various categories, each of which has direct links to the articles. Are my articles perhaps sitting too deep in my structure to be effectively indexed?

I have just grown concerned because a very, very small percentage of our traffic comes from search engines, and from what I understand, that figure should stand at over 50%.
    Jerusalem Newswire
    www.jnewswire.com