Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any UK members trade in shares?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Also, atleast here in the US, if you actually do make money you pay significantly lower taxes on it if you held the stock for over 1 year.
    Similar here in the UK, its a bit complicated though. Best putting any investments in an ISA though to shield you from tax.

Trench Warfare
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Also, atleast here in the US, if you actually do make money you pay significantly lower taxes on it if you held the stock for over 1 year.
    Yes, capital gains tax is cut by half, if you have hold your investment for more than 12 months in Australia.

I use http://www.iwebsharedealing.co.uk/. Free to join and no subscription costs. Flat fee of £10 per deal.

I don't use it so much anymore. Though I used to deal a lot with penny shares on AIM (Alternative Investment Market). They're risky but the returns can be really nice for not a lot of outlay. Say if you buy 2000 shares at 20p each and then the company releases some good news meaning the share price goes up to say 50p or more (and it does happen) then you'll make a nice profit in a very short space of time. Obviously, it's easy to lose very quickly too. But hopefully, you wont lose too much as they're only penny shares. I used to do it for the fun of it really.

I traded with a company called UBC Media. At the start of 2000 their share price was only around 25p. By mid year the price was peaking at around 65p. I traded in this period and made some decent money.

I also traded with a company called Einstein Group PLC. They went right down the drain and I lost almost everything. But because it was only a tiny sum to start with, it was no big deal.

There's a good magazine that deals with penny share dealing too. Can't remember what it's called though. It's in WHSmiths though.