Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cranking websites out, hows this model?

Registered

cranking websites out, hows this model?

Hi,

I've read some people just crank websites out, build em, then submit em, then forget about them.

I guess the idea is to get $1/day per site, own 400 websites.

what are your thoughts on this?

Is it just making management of things much harder, and maybe going the subdomain route better?

this sounds very lucrative to me, anybody into this numbers game? hehe

You need to talk to MarkB - he has/had a 1 website/wk thoughout 2005 goal

Definitely wouldnt use suddomains as a way of making it easier to manage - a. I dont think it would make much difference and b. if you are taking shortcuts like this that will affect the professionalism of your sites, then you should probably cut down the number of websites, rather than cut the effort on each one.

Most people on here though have numerous websites. But remember more websites != more cash. You could spend your time better by building/improving existing ones.

I do not recommend subdomains, a domain makes it easier to get listings/links and is cheap enough that its worth it to get one for each site.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Heh, my 1-site-a-week aim fell apart after about 5 sites; it takes time, energy, and enthusiasm which I just don't have after building sites all day at work

And I agree with Chris and r2 - forget the subdomain route.
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

Registered
    Chris,

You a 1-man shop right? how many domains do you have?

Registered
    I figure it only costs $1/mo to register and host a site, so anything you can make above that is profit. I have always been attracted to collectibles domains and decided to see if one or two pages sites in these tiny niches would pay so I could afford to keep them.

They have no back links and "content" is whatever I could write off the top of my head. For reasons I do not understand, some have been given high rankings and get some traffic. Some that I actually put effort into remain invisible.

The more I learn about SEO the less my results make sense.

Registered
    Well to register a domain costs $8, the cost of a IP address costs $1/month.

So basically yearly cost to run a domain is $20 year (8 + (1x12) = $20).

The next cost is a dedicated server if you want.

I mean, generating $1/day is not rocket science, so the key is automation.

I run all my websites of a $20 a month reseller account - unlimited domains and 15Gb a month which Im no where near using, so hosting is a pretty small part of the cost, especially as your number of domains rises.

As you get more into web development, the cost of domains and hosting should really pale into insignificance as your income starts to grow.

People try to cut corners when they start with a bunch of subdomains and free hosting, but you really are shooting yourself in the foot, so I would really recommend getting full domains for each site and some proper web hosting - but it sounds like you are planning on doing this anyway, so good on you.

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Whilst this format looks attractive there must be some on time in managing a number of sites and I have to wonder if the time spent in making an existing site larger/better/adding links etc isn't more productive than adding a new site.

Registered
    BlueCatBuxton,

Your right, but at the same time there are always many ways to skin a cat right?

Having 100's of domains also spreads the risk, and i'm sure your bound to hit some jackpots along the way which you can further develop.

Nobody said you can't further develop a site. Nothing is written in stone now is it?

I'm just saying, its a numbers game here, $1/day is something everyone can do. But creating a single site that makes $500/day is def. something not everyone seems to be doing hehe.

Registered
    " $1/day is something everyone can do"

Based on the posting in threads about income, I get the feeling many make less than that in spite of their best efforts.

What I appreciate most about the low cost of starting multiple small sites is the opportunity it offers to learn about a niche, who the visitors are, what the concerns are, what kinds of ads they respond to, etc. You can do all that at almost no cost. They also make a test bed for templates/skins and other experiments.

domains? 100 or more probably.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Is there a good way to make the domain pay for itself while your not using it? Without getting it banned from search engines?

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowballer
    BlueCatBuxton,

there are always many ways to skin a cat right?
    Thats not nice

I see where you are coming from. But the energy and time to make 400 sites must be enormous, even 2 or 3 pagers - they still need research and promotion and then monitoring to some extent.

I just think it would be easier to make say 10 sites that made $10 a day than 100 that each made $1 a day.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    There's a difference between diversity to keep your income steady as markets drop a bit,
    and bitter insanity.
    If you have 1 high quality site, it'll likely do better than 1000 search portals. The best route is to make more than one site, but less than what you can't handle.