Thread: Would you smoke this or save it?

Registered

Would you smoke this or save it?

I recently returned from a vacation in the Dominican Republic. While I was there I picked up a locally made pipe. The pipe is made from Lignum Vitae. I picked one that seemed to be drilled straight with a hole in the stem that is centered and low in the bowl.
    My questions are concerning the safety of smoking this pipe due to the material used.
    Lignum vitae dust is known to be a skin sensitizer. I can easily make sure the dust isn't present and there isn't anything that I can find concerning smoking tobacco in a pipe made from this wood.
    I'm hoping someone here has some experience with using one of these pipes.
    I have spoken with some friends at Woodcraft ( very knowledgeable about exotic woods) but they aren't pipe smokers. The suggestion there was to possibly char the bowl with a torch lighter prior to the first bowl to remove the oils and create a carbon layer to reduce the chance of a reaction from the Lignum vitae.
    It's a really cool momento from the trip, just not sure if it should stay a looker or become a working member of the group.
    Any assistance would e Greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Isme

Registered
    I once had a similar dilemma with a unique pipe I acquired. Given the potential risks with Lignum vitae, especially as a skin sensitizer, I'd lean towards keeping it as a decorative piece. It's a cool memento of your trip and might be safer as a display item than for actual use.

Registered
    I'd keep that Lignum Vitae pipe as a keepsake. It sounds like an elegant thing you got from your trip to the Dominican Republic. When I travel, I often buy smoking-related souvenirs, too, but I don't use them. I like to keep them as special reminders of the places I've been.

For smoking, I usually stick to vapes that I buy back at home. I know they're good, and I trust them. They work well for me, so I don't need to try out my souvenir pipes. You can check these out if you're curious.