Thread: Anyone strip out their skid plate bolts? Dealer just sent me pics of the bolts stripp

Registered

Anyone strip out their skid plate bolts? Dealer just sent me pics of the bolts stripp

Just got a 2017 Pro4x with 32k miles and it has an oil leak so I brought it to my dealer and they are taking a look to fix under warranty.

They said someone stripped out the threads on the bolts and they need to replace all of them ($13/ea and $8/ea) and re-tap some of the holes which will take a few hours at shop rate. I told them just leave the skid in the bed and I'll look at it because I'm not paying $137/hr to tap holes.
    He said most likely whoever did the last oil change put them on too tight.

Anyone experienced this? The bolts looks okay to me - aren't they usually tapered at the end? Or are they missing threads?

Thanks

Registered
    I haven't personally experienced this, but it's not uncommon for threads to get stripped if the bolts were tightened too much during the last oil change. Regarding the bolts, they typically have tapered ends to help with alignment during installation. However, if they look OK to you and don't appear to be missing threads, it might be worth getting a second opinion. It's always good to double-check these things. If you're looking for replacement bolts, check out scrooz.com.au. I ordered parts from them a long time ago, too. And I liked the quality of their bolts.