Thread: Help! A drawer lock on my vintage sideboard will not unlock. :(

Registered

Help! A drawer lock on my vintage sideboard will not unlock. :(

I have never had this problem before. When trying to get to some of my silver to use on my Thanksgiving table, I cannot get the bottom drawer of my sideboard to unlock. I've tried everything I can think of. And, no, I cannot get to the drawer by opening up the one above it. There is a skirt board between drawers.

I've posted on two other boards, as well. Hoping someone can help or make a suggestion.

Below are photos, including one of the lock (from the above drawer) and of what the key looks like. Apparently, the lock bar is stuck in the upright position. However, the lock turns all the way, just like the others.

Oh, hard situation.

That's why I wouldn't say I like vintage things, especially vintage drawers. You will surely arrive one day when the locks fail because they are too old and you can no longer open them. I also had the same problem when the lock of my vintage drawer, where I kept a lot of valuable information, wouldn't unlock, and not even a locksmith helped me with that. The only solution was to destroy the drawer to get all the documents I needed. And since then, I have other lockers with a new smart self-service locker system that I found on https://elocker.com/. This is a smart cabinet lock that replaces the need for physical keys, so the possibility of cabinet lock failure is gone. I find this much safer.