Thread: The state of the USD

The state of the USD

Japan have said they're going to buy less dollars: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4335123.stm pushing it down even further

Should we be setting up dollar accounts and wait for it to rise? Or is it going to carry on falling??

Trench Warfare
    I believe it will continue to fall until the US starts to address their budget deficit. eg. They start to run surplus budgets.

As for me, I am just exchanging the cheques/paypal as usual and waiting for a USD upturn (but I'm not holding my breathe). It doesn't effect me too much though.

Cheers
    Last edited by ozgression; 03-10-2005 at 01:38 AM.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Well, I'm just hoping it rises higher than the Cananadian dollar before my next check.

I dont really know to much about this issue, but it really does not seem to effect the prices of everyday items, if anything they are cheaper, but for you all is the conversion factor that real big of a deal that holding off checks, till the dollar becomes stronger becomes a praticle option?

I don't make much money online, but if I can convert $100.00 to $120-$150.00 I'll be happy.

No you're right, it wont make much difference at all to you. But I just paid in about $900 of 'checks' which came out at about £450 at 1.939 to the pound - at 1.5 to the pound it would have been about £600. (I think it was nearer 1.5 a few years ago).

£150 difference is a fair amount (about $290 atm)!

Getting a dollar account and holding the dollars in there till the conversion rate is better could be worth while, but having looked, the dollar account at HSBC paid 0% interest, so thats gonna cost you as well (losing the 5% i get in savings acct) - though I could use it to pay dollar expenses I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2
    But I just paid in about $900 of 'checks' which came out at about £450 at 1.939 to the pound - at 1.5 to the pound it would have been about £600. (I think it was nearer 1.5 a few years ago).
    I believe it is spelled checks in the United States.

Trench Warfare
    Quote Originally Posted by thepoorman
    is the conversion factor that real big of a deal that holding off checks, till the dollar becomes stronger becomes a praticle option?
    No. It is the difference between getting $100 and $120 like James said. It is nice to get more, but it isn't crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by ozgression
    No. It is the difference between getting $100 and $120 like James said. It is nice to get more, but it isn't crucial.
    When its the difference between $1000 and $1200, or $10,000 and $12,000 though its a worth bit more investigating (not saying I'm getting quite that much but, you have to aim high )

Quote Originally Posted by thepoorman
    I believe it is spelled checks in the United States.
    Indeed, thats why I quote marked it as we would call them 'cheques' in the UK.

I reckon the US dollar is going to decline further too. If you get a lot of US dollars you might want to consider hedging using spread betting or contracts for difference.

Cheque and Check are both acceptable ways to spell it. If not we all know what people who call them 'checks' are talking about, not much different from knowing 'alot' means 'a lot'.

I believe it's "cheque" in Canada, but I don't care. I spell it color, rather than colour, too.

Trench Warfare
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2
    When its the difference between $1000 and $1200, or $10,000 and $12,000 though its a worth bit more investigating
    That's true. And now that I think about it I have probably loss a few thousand due to the poor USD in the last few months, but what i meant was that I won't go hungry just because the USD is low.

There sure is a big difference, i'm waiting for the good moment as well
    but like someone already mentioned ... it's not looking to happen any time soon.

R2D2,
    Nice avatar It will be interesting to see how they perform at
    Le Mans this year.