Thread: Wiring a bathroom fan’s integrated speaker to be always on?

Registered

Wiring a bathroom fan’s integrated speaker to be always on?

I had a Home NetWerks Bluetooth Bath Fan 11 recently installed, which is kind of nice. I have an Alexa unit paired to it, and it’s easy to get music going, and I could see having Echo Speaks give me notifications while I’m in the shower.

What’s not quite as nice is that the wiring diagram 27 (Page 5) shows that the speaker is only on when the light is on. I have vanity lights (on a motion switch), so the overhead light may not always be on.

Currently, it’s on the (ubiquitous) Jasco/GE Z-Wave switch for one-switch operation, but if I were to get a two-switch fan controller (like the Zooz Zen30) so that the fan operates independently, then make the light connection always on (e.g. not inline with the switch), would I be able to put something (a “relay”?) on the LED wire that’s then controlled by the light switch?

Preferably I’d want the light/fan to be tied together (if possible), so put another way, given the way the wiring happens to be, what would be the easiest way to keep the speaker always on, regardless of the light/fan status?

Perhaps I’m overcomplicating this? Page 7 of that manual shows the speaker connection. Maybe the solution is to just bring power there, although I have absolutely no idea what that would entail.

Edit: HomeWerks emailed me a high-level spec sheet for all of the components. All it said was that the speaker was 8v @ 3W (so that’s .375 amp?). Is it as “easy” as finding an adequate transformer?

Registered
    Can you share some photos of the results?

Registered
    The best decision is to invite a professional electrician. He will be able to do it correctly without creating any problems in the future. I also have installed some smart devices in my bathroom. I renovated my bathroom last year and tried to install all kinds of accommodations. I bought most of the furniture from phoenixbathroom.co.uk and the smart devices from Samsung. I have a lot of devices from Samsung at home, so I can easily remotely control them by using the special apps on my mobile device.