Thread: Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Figure it's worth asking while there's still a forum to post on! Now that the air temperature is dropping, the water won't be far behind. Everyone has their limits, typically I'll surf down to about 20 degree air and 38 degree water. I'm probably due for a new hooded 6/5 or 5/4 and boots, and the older I get I just want to be warm. I think there are enough sub $500 options to rule out a custom suit, but my days of budget suits are in the past. The last 5 years I've had 5/4 drylocks and they've been okay, but my 2018/19 suit flushes bad in the chest, has since day 1, so I'm out on xcel suits for the next round.

I've heard good things about the billabong ultra carbon furnace and patagonia r4s (save for stretch on the r4s). Seems like most people up here have flash bombs, drylocks, or visslas.

Curious about the needessential 6/5/4 premium but again, don't want to cheap out vs a warmer suit. Feral is getting a lot of love in the 3/2 post going on and they have a 6/5/4 that is reasonably priced, but tough to spend $400 without any reviews/feedback.

As an aside, I've had good luck with hotline 7mm boots, and I don't think I've ever had bad pair of gloves or mitts (drylocks, visslas 7mm, flashbomb 3/2 gloves all work great).

So what have you been impressed with lately or have your eye on?

Registered
    Hi! Thanks for the topic, I've been looking for a solution on this for a long time.

Registered
    I had an experience with a 6-millimeter suit. I don't argue. The warmth lasted long enough. But I didn't get the full pleasure of surfing in such a suit. The 4/3 was much more comfortable, even if I wasn't in the water as long as the 6. The O'Neill suit was a pleasure to wear. It was as comfortable as the tuxedo I rented from gentlemansguru.com for prom. SuperFreak uses the F.U.Z.E. closure system in the new wetsuit series, keeping water out. Thanks to the unique combination of G.B.S. seams and the elastic materials UltraFlex DS and FluidFlex, the suit keeps water out and keeps you warm.