Thread: What would happen if I can’t find anywhere to rent?

Registered

What would happen if I can’t find anywhere to rent?

This is a hypothetical situation. I live and work in a rural community, I work for the local council.
    At the moment I am fortunate to be renting a nice flat and all is well. I’m also saving to buy: as soon as a suitable house comes on the market, I’ll be looking to get a 90% mortgage and get on the ladder. I have a salary of £38k and I live alone.

I have noticed that there are very very few properties available for rent, which has been the case for six months now. At the moment all of those that are, are HMOs where individual rooms are let out. 1 or 2 bed flats and cottages are very very rare (everyone has decided to Air B&B them &#128544. I regularly search what’s available and affordable within 25 miles of my workplace and the answer is: little to nothing.

If my landlord were to terminate my rolling tenancy, I would have a month to find somewhere else to live. If I were unable to find a house to buy or rent that was affordable within a commute to work, I would be in a real pickle! It would be tantamount to being made homeless! There are family members I could move in with, but they are all 100+ miles away and I definitely couldn't commute.
    Moving into an HMO would be possible, but would mean selling my furniture and many belongings, I am over 35 and really don’t see cohabiting with strangers as a healthy way for me to live at my stage in life, my mental wellbeing would plummet I am sure.

Registered
    Well, just Google it my man!

Don't panic like that, my friend. Even if you lose your home, you just find a tenant and pay him 70 pounds more for rent. Believe me, no one will refuse you an apartment. Especially since you say that you get a good salary, you definitely shouldn't worry about it. You also say that you have savings, so you definitely won't live on the street for the first months, don't worry so much. I have already been through similar experiences and have been doing real estate for several years now. I usually use the Build to rent method and honestly admit it is very effective and brings me income.