Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates - Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

Bill Gates - Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

I don't agree with that. He's not British, and compared to what some people have done, I don't really know if he should get it.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Registered
    Mike - Does it really matter what country you are from? Bill Gates has done some very philanthropic things with his charities, and even though he software company isn't perfect, it isn't the worst thing to happen to computing.
    Anna Gorbachev.

I agree with Lotus - his charity work itself should be enough. He's giving millions to support the fight against AIDS in Africa, among many other things. And his company's work (at his direction) has helped popularise the use of computers in the home and in schools, which has had an impact worldwide (including the UK :P).

It's not like he's going to be called Sir Bill or anything
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

Oh for his charity work...yes, but from quickly reading that article I thought it was just because of Microsoft.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Although its still quite a great honour, I personally thought it went down hill when Rob Andrews was Knighted mainly for one kick(!?). Knighthood exists better as an idea than an actual thing.

Although it is easy to bash Sir Gates(new virus name?) I think it is commendable that he has given such a lot to charity, compared to many wealthy people who don't.

Cause when I think Knight I think Bill Gates.

I do understand where Mike is coming from. I'm not sure about it myself either. It's hard not to think the main reason is, why should somebody that has so much get even more?

As Mike says, there're probably far more deserving people to be honest, that the British people would be more inclined to have knighted. But, I guess from the governments point of view it's not a bad thing to wrap their arms around the worlds richest man. <sigh>

I'm sure if Incka was here, he'd have a few things to say about this!

I can understand why you think he is undeserving being a foreigner and the cause of Microsoft to spread (probably caused more gray hair and violent computer deaths than any other reason).

However, this guy is by any definition a worthy recipient. He hasn't given a few million to charity it's more like 28 billion or 37% of his wealth. Chew on that figure for a while.

Kinda makes sailing fastest around the world on a boat pale into insignificance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm

http://forbes.com/philanthropy/2004/...1004gates.html

I bet a lot of mega rich people have given 37% of their wealth to charity. When you have as much money as Billy boy does, it's not that amazing. Not that I'm knocking it, 28billion is absolutely breathtaking. But is it an *achievement* worthy of a knighthood? I dunno. It's just like surplus money and it's not much of a hardship to give up.

Someone who gives 37% of their income to charity only leaving them with only £200 to live on a month. That's an impressive and deserving act.

Yeah giving $117 to charity leaving you $200 is a big act. But how many lives will that save? 28 Billion has a huge impact.

This guy is the biggest philanthropist in the history of the world. I don't think its important what percentage of his net worth that is or how much hardship it has caused him.

He has a huge net worth and he is doing fantastic things - period. I'm dumbfounded if you don't think he deserves one. If he is not worthy then who is? </rant>

I reckon even Incka would agree with me. Well OK perhaps not

Registered
    biggest philanthropist in the history of the world
    I don't think philanthropy should be based on a persons charitable donations, however he has done a lot, worthy of being knighted, but not the most philanthropic person ever...
    Anna Gorbachev.

I may be painting myself into a corner but what other individual has put up 28 billion?

And here's a definition of a philanthropy from dictionary.com

"The effort or inclination to increase the well-being of humankind, as by charitable aid or donations."
    Last edited by Billyray; 03-03-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray
    "The effort or inclination to increase the well-being of humankind, as by charitable aid or donations."
    If it wasn't for the "inclination" bit of the definition then he wouldn't be But that's not important. I wouldn't disagree that he is a philanthropist.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray
    If he is not worthy then who is?
    Example, there's this old guy called Alex that spends his days, even in the freezing cold and rain, on the streets in Bedford and in a van parked up at the side of the roads around bedford collecting money and presents for children in war torn countries. He then travels to those countries, quite often under huge amounts of risk and threat to his life, and having to bribe the authorities to let him pass, just so the aid gets to where it should. He has done this every year for as long as I know of.

To devote your life to something like that is what really deserves a knighthood.

I'm not saying Gates shouldn't be knighted. But it doesn't quite sit comfortably with me either. Perhaps some other award, but a knighthood doesn't quite fit right.

I understand the essence of what you are saying and whole heartedly agree with regards to people like Alex. There are a great number of people who dedicate their lives for the benefits of others with little or no recognition. I get really p'd off when a sportsperson gets made Australian of the year as opposed to someone like Alex. Thankfully it didn't happen this year.

How do you feel about Ellen MacArthur getting hers for breaking the around the world record?

LOL I just dug up this list of people who had refused a knighthood or other award.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...&curtab=2222_1

Nigella Lawson? I think even you would agree Bill has done more for humanity than her.