Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hosting companies

hosting companies

i just had a horror experience with my first dedicated, and thanks to having about 30% downtime for the past 3 months, my traffic is at about 1/2 what it used to be, so i'm looking to regroup on a regular hosting site... the problem is i still need at least 50 gigs of bandwith per month, which is pretty expensive at most places. i'm considering using one of these two places, any suggestions?

http://www.hostforweb.com/hosting_supreme.html
    http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

any other sites are also welcome...

I really recommend http://hostrocket.com/, very good host at a good price.

I've never had any considerable downtime at ev1.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

my dedicated is from ev1 and the downtime is terrible... although i'm pretty sure it's not their fault, i'd rather not chance it...

www.bluewho.com have been great for me. You can get 60Gb for $50, or 76Gb for $60.

I'm with Managed.com - they don't have a good reputation, but I have never had any issues with them at all.
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

Quote Originally Posted by eMEraLdwPn
    my dedicated is from ev1 and the downtime is terrible... although i'm pretty sure it's not their fault, i'd rather not chance it...
    Ya, its only their fault if the network goes out or it's a hardware failure (since they don't claim to manage your server's software).

Back before I went dedicated hostrocket would get me 97% uptime. Ev1 has been averaging 100% for atleast 50 weeks out of the year, every year, since.

i use 1&1, any downtime I have had has been my fault. but many people don't have good experiances with them.

i'm pretty sure that my admin's software is the problem, yet he insists it's my fault and the server just can't handle my load...

i'm on a p4 2.4 ghz, 1 gig of ram, and i average something like 30 - 50 queries per second. the server constantly crashes (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day), and he says that there's no way the server should be able to handle that many queries. i looked around and read that similar servers are able to handle 200+ queries per second. as far as i know, all my queries are optimized...

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Ya, its only their fault if the network goes out or it's a hardware failure (since they don't claim to manage your server's software).

Back before I went dedicated hostrocket would get me 97% uptime. Ev1 has been averaging 100% for atleast 50 weeks out of the year, every year, since.
    Yea, its hard not to like 100% uptime. I will probably switch to ev1servers myself after a bit.

It might just be that you need to tweak your my.cnf or httpd.conf files.

There are alot of threads at vbulletin.com about tweaking my.cnf for very busy forums.

There is also that thread I posted recently in here (this same subforum) about optimizing apache.

Also try having MySQL EXPLAIN the queries, just to make sure they're using the right indices.

Quote Originally Posted by eMEraLdwPn
    i'm pretty sure that my admin's software is the problem, yet he insists it's my fault and the server just can't handle my load...

i'm on a p4 2.4 ghz, 1 gig of ram, and i average something like 30 - 50 queries per second. the server constantly crashes (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day), and he says that there's no way the server should be able to handle that many queries. i looked around and read that similar servers are able to handle 200+ queries per second. as far as i know, all my queries are optimized...
    My database only server (Dual Xeon 2.0Ghz + 1.5GB RAM) currently does "Queries per second avg: 318.171" with no problem. Better specs and database only, but unless your queries are terrible (as in, don't use indices, massive database) then you should be able to do alot more.

I sorta doubt the admins software is the cause however...hard to tell you without knowing all the details.
    New website released. ya rly!

yeah, i have all tables indexed and have run EXPLAIN on all of them i think, and they all showed up as being optimized. my server has crashed 9 times in 4 days...

Does the server actually crash? Or simply apache?

i'm not sure... i can't access any of my sites via domain name or ip address, i just get a "cannot find blah.com" error message until i reboot the server...