Curious if anyone here has had a similar experience, and what (if any) steps I might still be able to take:

On Wednesday, I got a notification that FedEx had successfully delivered a cymbal I bought off eBay. Except there was nothing on my doorstep. Checked my security cam footage, and nobody had come to the house at any point that day.

When I looked at the tracking info, I noticed it also said the package had been signed for. So I immediately messaged the seller to let him know it was missing, made a post on my neighborhood Facebook group to see if anyone had gotten my package by mistake, and then contacted FedEx customer service to file a report.

FedEx said they would have the driver retrace his steps and he would be back in the area later that day to recover the package and get it to me. Didn’t happen.

The next day, on Thursday, my wife actually saw the FedEx truck on the street and cornered the driver. He said he’d been having issues with his GPS so he had just taken the package back to the sorting facility (and marked it delivered and signed for why exactly??), but he would for sure be back the next day (Friday) to deliver it for real. Also didn’t happen.

So today, I call FedEx again to see what’s going on and they just say, “Yeah, you’re going to have to contact the seller and tell him to file a claim.”

It’s frustrating because I get the sense that my cymbal is just sitting there in the facility, but there’s no way for me to get to it, and FedEx can’t be bothered to do it themselves. I’m not overly concerned at this point about not getting my money back (although maybe I should be given that the package was allegedly signed for). But I’d prefer to have the cymbal....