Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90 days?

Website Developer
    I'm not going to get involved in any personal disputes here, but just for reference here are a few of my comments.

Usually, in a business setting payment is due "net 30" or maybe "net 90." Meaning, of course, payment is due within that many days, however it is not uncommon for people to be late on payments. I know some people who have stopped doing business with businesses simply due to consistantly paying late. Also, many businesses will give a discount for payments which come early. For example, if the payment comes within 7 days there may be a 5% discount.

The reason this is done is due to cashflow. As a webmaster you may be familiar with Google paying 30 days after the end of the month's earning. Because of this, you may be able to say Google owes me $5000, but I won't get it for a month, however I need to hire someone to do X job for me. If you wait for the cash to come you may fall behind or lose out on future business.

I don't know what services/products were bought/sold here, however I would recommend that you request payment up front. Some choose half before the job is done, half after. This will help ensure that you only do jobs that you will get paid for besides avoiding conflicts like these.

For me, if the person has a good reputation I may accept full payment once my service is completed. However, if I don't know them I require the payment upfront.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Gimme Fries with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyray
    Is 90 day payment too long for personal services work? Yes
    Is it OK for thebillionaire to question this in this forum? Yes
    Are they both valued members of this forum? Yes
    Is this the friendliest most helpful webmaster forum around? Yes

What's this post about? Already forgotten.
    100% completely agree. I think it would have been more prudent to ask the question MINUS inckas name. To me it can be read as outting Incka. Which I hate.

yea I agree, Sean will be missed if he does not decide to come back. He knows what he is doing in regards to website publishing. Very skilled.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Dunno why he'd quit such a valuable forum.
    I've frequented many webmaster forums, so far this has been the most helpful, the friendliest and the forum I just like the best. I can't say I dislike any of the people that frequent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    100% completely agree. I think it would have been more prudent to ask the question MINUS inckas name. To me it can be read as outting Incka. Which I hate.
    Yeah I agree. I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Dunno why he'd quit such a valuable forum.
    I've frequented many webmaster forums, so far this has been the most helpful, the friendliest and the forum I just like the best. I can't say I dislike any of the people that frequent it.
    Oh, that is nice to hear .

I normally ask for 50% in advance and 50% on completion, if I don't know the client that well.

<chants> come back Sean - come back Sean - come back Sean ... </chants> haha

Incka, don't quit man, I'm not an active poster in this forum, but I read a lot and I like your postings!