Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subdomains and SEO

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar

Subdomains and SEO

Can anyone advise the benefit of subdomains on search rankings.

Specifically with regard to my kids-toys domain, as such the search engines *should* pick out kids and toys as keywords.

If I was to add a subdomain UK.kids-toys or outdoor.kids-toys would they pick up the subdomain part as a keyword.

Is there any benefit in doing this rather tan just using a folder (kids-toys.info/UK) ?

Interesting question, which I have nothing to add to other than "I'd like to know as well".
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

I don't think there is any benefit to be honest. But that's just a guess. It's debatable if google even "pick up" keywords in the URL at all.

Interesting... I always thought it did, but I'm in no way an SEO expert.

I used to think it did too. But I'm not so sure now. I don't think anyone really knows.

I suppose where keyword rich domains will help is with linking, where people use the url as anchor text

This was something that popped into my head last night (I have been thinking about how to add amazon UK results into a amozon.com aws site) without starting afresh and the subdomain idea seemed like a neat solution.

I guess one point to consider when deciding to use subdomains is: how easy are they for 'normal' people (ie, ones who don't, for example, discuss domain names on message boards) to remember.

Would a user remember:

http://widgets.mydomain.com/

better than:

http://www.mydomain.com/widgets/

Although I think the former is the nicer, format-wise, I know that also comes down to my geekery If SEO opportunities for both are the same, which would you be inclined to use?

Personally speaking, the second one. Without a doubt.

BTW, I'm enjoying the 2005 challenge thing, mark!
    Last edited by chromate; 01-11-2005 at 08:13 AM.

I would choose the second one too, if I had to put my users first

(thanks registered another domain today... Over $100 in domains so far this year!)

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    I'd say that if Google does see the URL and use that as part of ranking sites,
    then it'd be best with a sub domain.

It's like putting "Ninja Gaiden Review - Gamesitename" with the site name second, cause stuff closer to the top is usually given more power, isn't it?

But then, it would depend on whether your subdomain.domain made a logical phrase - like :

uk.widgets.com

Thought I guess that would be the case for most. Oh, I dunno Where's Chris?

Someone well-known on Sitepoint (i forget who) said recently that using subdomain or folder are the same for SEO. Though I remember a while ago getting the impression that subdomains arent really the way to go with domain names - if it requires more than a folder, then it probably needs its own domain name.

The other danger with sub domains I guess is returning visitors just not remembering the URL missing the dot or adding dashes, BUT if the word order is significant then using a subdomain for outdoor kids toys would be better than a directory which would give kids toys outdoors (sticking with my example)

I have never used subdomains so not really sure what the implications are. At least with a directory if the user gets the url right but the directory wrong, they will end up on the site.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    I agree that I've heard complications in regards to subdomains. Some big thread at Sitepoint about half a year ago mentioned in, I think, didn't it?

There is no SEO advantage and as some have hinted at there might be a usability disadvantage to using subdomains.

The one time you want to use a subdomain, I think, is when its actually pointing to a physically different server.

Such as forums.yoursite.com points to one server and www.yoursite.com points to another. (for instance www.scholastic.com and shop.scholastic.com)
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives