Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In total, how much have you made from AWS?

Registered
    made around $7000 since april 04, plus a few hundred more from ads on one of them.

would have been quite a bit higher if my host didn't kill 2 of the big ones just before xmas.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Why did your host kill them?

Registered
    I don't know, it was a small host and they said they were upgrading and lost my sites entirely. This happened 3 different times before I moved on. I think they may have been doing it on purpose so that they could keep peoples $$$ while pushing them to leave.

the only saving grace is that I was smart enough not to have all my eggs in one basket, so when this occured it really only harmed about 1/5 of my revenue.

Sue them. Period.

Registered
    > Sue them. Period.

that's MUCH nicer than what I originally planned for them but, the reality is fighting back just isn't worth my time. also, I knew the risk of fooling with bargain hosts and still signed up, so I really blame myself the most.

You usually agree to terms when signing up that will prevent a successful lawsuit.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Not only that, it's expensive to sue, unless you can find an attorney that will take your case pro-bono or on contingency. I found this out the hard way in 2001 when I sued a former business partner for embezzling. I lost $8000.00 in attorney fees before I finally had to just give up. Justice is available for the wealthy in the USA. It's never as easy as "I'll sue you."

Unless you're a lawyer.

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Still expensive as you are spending the time you'd have spent being one of the expenses for people suing.

In the UK it doesn't have to cost a lot, as you can just go to the small claims court. The other amusing thing is, you're allowed to specify where you would like the hearing to take place. So if the company you're taking to court is based in scotland and you set the court hearing in Southend (on the south coast)...

But also suprisingly in the UK a lot less sueing goes on per person than in the US...

In the UK you can represent yourself, and all you have to pay is court fees which are less than $100 a believe...

Don't you also have loser-pays laws though. If you lose a lawsuit you must pay the other person's legal fees?

really? so if the the other person had a super-expensive attorney, you would have to pay for him?

In the UK you can claim for court fees easily, and book online. However (having used the system to recover debts of more than £1000) I can say that winning isn't the end of the story. You still have to *collect* the debt, and this can be far trickier.

Secondly, the claimant can apply to change where the hearing is, so our defenant had it moved to her local court. So the idea of holding the hearing a long way from the person you are suing is not necessarily going to work - especially if they get legal advice. All claims booked using MoneyClaim.gov.uk are held at Northampton court because that's the one with most spare capacity. I would guess most people who book these types of cases never actually attend court (either as claimant or defendant)..

If anybody wants more information on the mechanics of actually doing this in the UK I'm happy to be PMed by anyone. I am not a lawyer though

Quote Originally Posted by aj8
    Secondly, the claimant can apply to change where the hearing is, so our defenant had it moved to her local court.
    I didn't think the defendant had the right to set where the hearing was held. I thought that right was reserved for the claimant. At least, that's what I heard on some legal phone in thing on the radio.