Thread: subdomains for a big site

Registered

subdomains for a big site

I have searched the forums here and found some subdomain discussion, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I am curious as to what impact subdomains have for search engines.

My site is getting kind of big and different people are coming to the site for different things. I run the entire site on one CMS. But what I want to do is have subdomains for some of the different sectons.

For example, we have a popular column called Hitch Daily. The column will still appear on our main page every day, but I want there to be a dedicated page for it somewhere on the site. So if I set up a subdomain (http://hitch.cinemaeye.com) I am wondering how it will affect things.

Does it hurt the site? Benefit the site? Am I better off with http://www.cinemaeye.com/hitch/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Website Developer
    Its a tricky issue simply because the SEs are constantly changing. The right answer today might be the wrong one tommorow. I'm not even sure if there is a right answer here.

A lot of people would recommend an entirely seperate domain name. But you may want your main site to benefit from the incoming links as well.

Subdomain or not? In December I was watching one search engine spammer use subdomains to rank really high for a ton of keywords. I came back from Christmas and he was no where to be seen.

I know of an extremely successful search engine optimizer who uses the http://www.cinemaeye.com/hitch/ thing. I can't tell you exactly why, but after seeing what he made last year, it sure isn't hurting him.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    Thanks for the info. And I do own the domain hitchdaily.com, but I want to keep it all on one server since it uses the same cms as my main site. Do you think it would be a help or hindrance if I used the domain and did a redirect to cinemaeye.com/hitch?

There's no real difference between the two. Subdomains are typically used when a sub-section of a website is large enough to require its own server. Otherwise it is just to make the webmaster happy. From a search engine point of view both are equal. The keyword in the subdomain will be spotted and recognized just as well as if it werea subdirectory.
    John Conde :: brainyminds
    Merchant Account Services -- Merchant Services Resources
    IT'S HERE: Integrate the Authorize.net Payment Gateway with PHP
    Everything you need to integrate Authorize.net into your website with PHP. Includes an explanation of how transactions work, validating credit cards, and the source code for free.