Thread: Quick listing in Google, Yahoo etc by starting a blog

Quick listing in Google, Yahoo etc by starting a blog

This may be old news but I have not seen it anywhere (may be I didn't look hard enough) plus I'm a NOOB.

I was considering putting a blog on my site to add news content and installed WordPress. I put in a dummy article and set about trying to figure out how to customise the template to fit my site got distracted and went off to learn more about CSS.

I checked my stats a week later and found that by adding an article WordPress pings some blog sites (as most blog programs probably do). It seems most of the SE spiders check these sites very often and come looking for your site.

End result my new site listed in Google and Yahoo in less than 3 days or may be sooner.

This is good because I don't have any friends with high PR ranks to link to, am too embarrassed to put my feeble efforts in my signature and for one of the sites would not welcome any potential competition until established. [thanks to Shawn for triggering my paranoia ]

I was going to mention this at some stage but a newsletter I subscribe to just published something similar so I thought I'd post my findings here.

Plus my previous site was submitted to G and Y a month before the new site and this way is much faster.

Hope this was of interest.

Regards
    David

Junior Registered
    I need help....really need help...I'm educated...a usually pretty good
    but I feel like I'm reading greek and just don't understand how to get a good ranking for my new website platform. I've tried the "too good to be true" stuff...tested it out and it was NOT what they promised and I wasted a lot of money.
    What is a blog...can someone help me....PLEASE
    Cindy
    cindy99@hotmail.com

Junior Registered

Please help me BLog I have a new website.....SOS cindy99@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray
    This may be old news but I have not seen it anywhere (may be I didn't look hard enough) plus I'm a NOOB.

I was considering putting a blog on my site to add news content and installed WordPress. I put in a dummy article and set about trying to figure out how to customise the template to fit my site got distracted and went off to learn more about CSS.

I checked my stats a week later and found that by adding an article WordPress pings some blog sites (as most blog programs probably do). It seems most of the SE spiders check these sites very often and come looking for your site.

End result my new site listed in Google and Yahoo in less than 3 days or may be sooner.

This is good because I don't have any friends with high PR ranks to link to, am too embarrassed to put my feeble efforts in my signature and for one of the sites would not welcome any potential competition until established. [thanks to Shawn for triggering my paranoia ]

I was going to mention this at some stage but a newsletter I subscribe to just published something similar so I thought I'd post my findings here.

Plus my previous site was submitted to G and Y a month before the new site and this way is much faster.

Hope this was of interest.

Regards
    David

Website Developer
    Have you read the stuff on the main websitepublisher page? If you don't know what a blog is, don't worry at all about the stuff in this thread

A blog is basically an online journal that is updated regularly.

This is a good page for you to start reading.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

G'day CindyLee
    Like Cutter said a blog is just a way of adding articles to your site. A lot of people use blogs like a journal but you can also use it to add relevant articles to your site. Its like a content management system (think web based diary). With Blog software you can log in and add content easily without having to add new pages to your site as the software does this for you.

My web host provides through cpanel a number of blog software programs to use yours might also do this. Or you could look at www.blogger.com which is a free web based blog program provided by Google and it is also free.

Typically when you add an article the software lets other blog libraries know and this is how the Search Engine Spiders know to come looking at your site for the new content.

Just because the spiders come doesn't mean you will get a top 10 or high listing, it just means that you will get listed in their search results. How well you do in the listings is determined by other search engine factors such as content relevancy etc.

Hope this helps.

Junior Registered

blogged down

thanks for the info.
    I did go to the blogger website you suggested and tried to put
    the blog thingie on my website. I'm a mess...so is the website.
    I have the site through istores.com the site address domain address
    is http://www.lottapoker.com somehow it didn't ftp right..I tried
    copying the html code...but it didn't come out....it's under
    http://www.lottapoker.com/blog

OHHHHH MYYYYY GOSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel really confused
    that I can't get this to work......any hints or tips...would be appreciated..
    I've written istores.com I've written the blog site...so far no answers....

cindy

Junior Registered
    I just wanna blog of my very own

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    As I remember Blogger make this easy if you do it all from their site. Pick a template, add your ftp settings under the publish tab abd re publish

Their support is fairly good they do reply, just may take a few days- but then it is a free service

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Cindy, that could be because your server doesn't have PHP support.

Try creating two files: includetest.php and includetest.html
    in includetest.php put <body><?php include("includetest.html") ?></body> and in includetest put <body>INCLUDE</body>

If you go to includetest.php and it displays <body><?php include("includetest.html") ?></body> then your server doesn't allow PHP. If you have a folder named CGI bin, you should be able to use a CGI/Perl-based blog though.

Registered
    On a side note to all this i have to say that to get into google i think regular content update is a MUST. I made a site at the end of summer before i started back at collge, just about squeezed it out but after starting college didn't have enough time to add new content at all. Google spiders it a almost every day, its got PR, but is not in any revelent search. I believe that if i started doing content updates, after about two weeks it would be in the search term easy - yet to try it out though. Hopefulyl in a few weeks!

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Regularly added content is most definitely a MUST.