Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 year to go!

Registered

1 year to go!

OK....here's the score.....

Presently, I work in IT as a Release Manager. In Jan 06 I will be made redundant

The challenge is to make enough money to sustain my morgage and general living expenses each month by the time I am made redundant and I have 1 year, 2 months to do it in!!

Could anyone advise the best approach to do this? Do I, create say 10 good basic sites straight off get them up on the search engines with basic content, back links and PR and then go back and up content and feature etc afterwards? OR....

Do I complete one site at a time to a high standard and just update and tweak it when and where?

Also, I presently use wordtracker.com to decide on what is or isn't a good search term or site idea to use? Is this right or are there other search engine statistical sites that could assist with this?

Obviously, I know there are no quick fire solutions hence why I'm starting to build on this with a year and 2 months to go...also I'm very new to all this, not sure where to start really???

Any help would be brill!!!!

Cheers,

Cat

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    It's smart to go for several websites which bring in a little money each, if you want stability.

Many people tend to pour a lot of their time into sites when they first create them, if that's any help--though I'm sure that Chris has more experience with what's better than me, because I only develop one site at a time, and while it's in developement my other sites seem to suffer a bit.

I would highly suggest not making small sites, only making very large content sites. Examples of these are Chris' Literature and Survival ones, Icebane's Survival one, Chromate's carb counter, My URGames and Lyrics one, And two people's movie ones.

Make a few big content sites and you should be set. Pour as much time (and money for other to write for you) into it as possible.

how many pages makes a site a 'big' site?

Website Developer
    Anything you are really good at / know a lot about? Thats a good place to start. I wouldn't limit myself to content sites either, there may be affiliate items you can promote or a service that you can develop. If you can program there are even more options open to you.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog

Registered
    Yep, can program a bit....

Did look at affiliate sites, but there are just sooo many to chose from? At the moment only using adsense on a couple of pages. Hopefully I will complete my Zone Diet site and add a bit more to Dr. Phil and then after Christmas I will start the next one.

It seems to be the publicity and obtaining back links that is creating most hassle at the moment, but I will keep on at it and let you all know how I get on.

cat

Gimme Fries with that!
    Topcat I will give you my suggeston based on my experience. I started my movie site about 4 months ago. It now has over 1700 news items, and over 1100 movies in its database. The forum has 3,000+ members and 55,000 posts. We now get lots of nice prizes donated from movie studios and the traffic goes up more everyday as a result.

Dont waste your time doing 10 small sites that do nothing. Do one site, spend 2 months on it, get it up, and then move on. I served 680,000 impressions this month so far on azoogle, so you can see it can make money as well. (Azoogle is my default by the way filling what casale and fastclick cant.)

I am putting the final touches on my new site now, key thing i guess im saying is age of the site means nothing, number of sites means nothing, its all about you. You decide whether you win or succeed, but focus is typically a good start,

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Incka, from what I've heard it's best to have maybe one or two large websites and some smaller ones so you can have stability--am I wrong in this assumption?

From my experience larger sites rather than lots of smallers ones makes most money.

Gimme Fries with that!
    Speaking from my experience i think its clear I agree with Incka. I have a new smaller site ready to launch and we will see how it performs compared to my Movie Site.

It won't do anywhere near as well. I've been very impressed by how quick your movie site has grown, the only thing I don't like about it is the domain isn't a .com...

Gimme Fries with that!
    Incka, i dont agree with you and have every intention on proving you wrong. By saying I am doing a smaller site I should have been more clear perhaps. I mean its a new small site I am launching.

Glad you like MoviesOnline, why does it matter its not a .com? It has not hindered me. It all comes down to FOCUS, and that is why MoviesOnline has grown so fast, not because i am talented or have some secret super powers, its because of dedication. Work work work and work some more on everything that comes to mind, then go back and do it again, and involve people in the process.

is MoviesOnline built upon a portal system?

Gimme Fries with that!
    yes.. its a system ive been building since i started the site. Its my own custom portal.

This is gonna sound thick, but what exactly is a portal? Ive heard the word around a few times, but never quite been sure..