Thread: Multiple DMOZ listings for the same site?

Multiple DMOZ listings for the same site?

Hi,

Lets say that you have a website with several sub-sections, which should be published under different DMOZ categories. How do you do your submissions? Do you first submit your main domain (your-domain.com) and wait until accepted or you just submit everything at once (your-domain.com, your-domain.com/section1/, your-domain.com/section2/, etc.)? Do DMOZ editors get pissed if they see multiple URL submitted from one and the same website, even though they're submitted to different categories?

I would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

Peter

I generally submit the root directory first, and then the subsections as I complete them. Considering the chances of the same editor seeing all of your submissions (atleast if they're in as different of categories as I assume) then I don't think editor annoyance is an issue. However we all know how easily it is to annoy DMOZ editors so maybe its better to be safe than sorry.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

If you're submitting to different categories and the content is good then it shouldn't matter. From what I remember as an editor, sub-pages are treated as entirely seperate from anything else, and so an editor of a different category wont know that you've submitted several other sub-pages from the same site to different categories, unless they take the time to check.

I have a love hate relationship with DMOZ.

Main pages first, then individual articles or pages of content.

I wanted to share with you some confirmed information directly from editors, and meta editors.

Webmasters are NOT SUPPOSED to submit sub pages. They actual have a word for webmasters who do this.. "deepling spammer".

I learned about this when doing status checks on subpage submissions in their forum. It's one of those things that isn't strictly enforced, but you don't want to piss editors off.

My advice, and what I do...

I submit one sub page per month or so, and I NEVER check the status on these submissions in their forum. The only thing you should use the forum for is checking the status of your main page (www.domain.com).
    Kyle

Banned
    What are "meta" editors?

There are lots of sites that have multiple URLs in DMOZ.

Thanks Kyle,

I have seen sites with over 400 different listings in DMOZ.org. I think DMOZ.org editors have to be much more consistent with their approvals and to have firm position regarding multiple URLs submissions.

I'm not a big fan of DMOZ and I'll never be. There are two reasons why they are "sooooo important" - the first is that google uses them for its directory and the second is they give their content for free and there are 1000's of DMOZ clones cluttering the search engine results.

Peter

Icebane, that's some interesting and good advice to add to your article.

I was always under the impression that deeplinks were fine as long as the normal rules apply: Unique, good quality content. It's not strictly enforced, neither is it even mentioned in the ODP guidelines. So people submit deeplinks. What do they expect?

"Humans do it better" ... Yeah, right(!)

Junior Registered
    The Catholic spammers at NEWADVENT.ORG have 14,095 dmoz-entries.

CNN leads the pack though -- with 231,778 DMOZ listings.

Source: http://www.whois.sc/internet-statist...-listings.html