Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improve Bandwith Usage, Tips

Gimme Fries with that!

Improve Bandwith Usage, Tips

Does anyone have any suggestions for a php site on how to improve bandwith usage. I just improved my site in the sense of getting the sql errors to go away, and once again overnight my site traffic has doubled, and I am once again in the boat of having nowhere near enough bandwith.

If anyone has any suggestions I am most open to them. yesterday i had almost 500,000 hits on my site and needless to say the amount of bandwith i used was scary

wow, one can never have enough traffic right ... Is the problem just bandwidth or is it processor/memory overload also?

maybe you could run your database on a higher performance database solution. Cache certain pages that are viewed most often.

Gimme Fries with that!
    you have a suggestion to replace mysql with? I am not sure just how much caching is going to cut down on my overall load but i am giving it a go.

Gimme Fries with that!
    oh and poorman my processor was overloading but i have that bit fixed. Now my huge concern is bandwith. Every day the traffic doubles and every day i bang my head on the wall .lol

you may just want to use multiple servers, or strike a deal with your host for a very large amount of bandwidth.

mySQL server... the new version looks like it is very fast and efficent(around Oracle in speed and efficency). Perhaps and upgrade would good(if your not already at 4.01.

Gimme Fries with that!
    i prefer not to continue pouring money into bandwith. That is an expensive solution. I am going to be contacting them for more bandwith, but i dont want to be doing 4000 gigs a month... i cant afford that kind of popularity.

So I am looking into how i can possibly use caching to handle some of my heavier pages like my galleries.

What is your high traffic site Emancipator? When you say "hits" do you mean pageviews or uniques, or just "hits"?
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

if you want to save bandwith make sure your server ueses mod_deflate (apache 2.x) or mod_gzip (apache 1.x)

Gimme Fries with that!
    thanks tomek, can you explain further on those two things? Mike my high traffic site is my only site, www.moviesonline.ca and it is getting alot of hits, and uniques. About 1.8million hits in 2 days, and uniques i would have to check.

Gimme Fries with that!
    i just wrote a file to prevent hotlinking of my trailers just in case my bandwith monster usage is because of leachers.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    mod_gzip would be my first suggestion, too.

Most stats programs let you list files in order of bandwidth usage. These files should be your next target, if necissary. My bet is on the random movie images that appear on each page, and the big pics that your forum users put in their sigs.

Gimme Fries with that!
    yeah i unfortunately still dont have a stats program running. Still trying to get a good one i can get installed. PHP and HTML are my skills, and so i need to find a stats progrma that works well with that.

I could disable sigs on the boards temporarily. See if it helps at all.

Gimme Fries with that!
    just disabled board sigs for the time being, and am working on mod_gzip with my buddy who is a hardcore linux guy.

Definitely mod_gzip

Are your CSS styles (if you have them) in each page, or linked to a style sheet file?

Do you have any images (however small) that you could replace with text or colour?
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog