Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What accounting/money software do you use?

What accounting/money software do you use?

What software do you use to keep up with all you income, profit, expenditures, etc.?
    Josh.

A Post-It note. There isnt much too add up

But I would probably use Excel to keep track of things.

i'm actually planning to do this later today, since i haven't been keeping track of anything, or taking out any taxes... i'm just going to make a spreadsheet in excel.

Chronic Entrepreneur
    Excel. I tried using Quicken once, but it's just too much trouble for what I need. I just make sure I put in each income and expense into Excel as it happens, and I'm good to go. Then at tax time I just sum everything up, print it out, and bring it to my accountant.

Banned
    I used Quicken for a while, but lost interest - didn't feel it was providing much benefit. I've tried out Quickbooks - it's quite powerful, but never really used it. I do use TurboTax every year - huge timesaver. I use Excel too for some stuff.

I tried using Quickbooks once, way too overbearing. All I wanted to do is keep track of expenses and income, and it was throwing all this crap at me, wanting me to do invoicing through it, etc etc. Plus it just about takes over your computer with it's digital rights management.

I use a simply mysql database I made to keep track of expenses, although I only enter into it at the end of the year (until then I have my huge file). And I keep track of income in excel.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Income and profit... These are words I'd like to get a little more familiar with

I just use excel with three columns: transaction, income and expense. Maybe not the best way to do it, but my accounts are so simple I don't really need anything else. If I started an ecommerce store, then I would probably use Sage. Though, I haven't really looked into it.

Thankfully, in the uk under we can just enter the total amounts online at the inland revenue website and it will work out the tax for you.

I have not used, or do not use any yet.

I will be using what my accountant tells me to, soon.

Because of not using any I will be paying 48% tax on my income. Not anymore though.
    New website released. ya rly!

i use quicken... its quick and easy, or maybe i dont know any better...

I use an older version to keep away from that activation crap.

Trench Warfare
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    I have not used, or do not use any yet.

I will be using what my accountant tells me to, soon.

Because of not using any I will be paying 48% tax on my income. Not anymore though.
    You incorporated? Did you have an ABN before you formed a company? If so, did you keep the same ABN for your company? Do you pay yourself a salary? And if so, do you need to make super contributions (on your own behalf)?

Sorry for all the questions, but i am considering considering starting a company soon... just wondering what's involved (i will see an accountant soon, but would like to hear any input you may have).

Cheers...
    ________
    vaporizer affiliate programs
    Last edited by ozgression; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Currently I don't keep track of things, but soons I will send all info to an accountant I'm getting...

Quote Originally Posted by ozgression
    You incorporated? Did you have an ABN before you formed a company? If so, did you keep the same ABN for your company? Do you pay yourself a salary? And if so, do you need to make super contributions (on your own behalf)?

Sorry for all the questions, but i am considering considering starting a company soon... just wondering what's involved (i will see an accountant soon, but would like to hear any input you may have).

Cheers...
    Not exactly. I didn't have an ABN and still won't. I am selling all my websites to a trust that I am principal of (I can explain the "parts" to a trust, what is needed and what everyones role is if you want).

It is a very basic setup and just suggest it to your accountant and see what their opinion is.

For me, it is perfect for two main reasons -

Tax benifits - I can control the personal income I make (keep it under $52,000/yr). The trust can buy shares and property so I don't need to get it out, then buy them.

Assest protection - in the case I was sued and made to pay loads of money I won't have any assests in my name - car, house etc.

My personal income will be from selling websites to the trust (sell 5 at $10,000 each a year) and/or being a benerficiery of the trust. I could also get an income by working on the websites.

Got a letter yesterday about signing the trust deed, will do that this week coming.

Edit: All up it will cost about $1,200 to set all this up so it is very very very worthwhile.
    Last edited by AndyH; 10-23-2004 at 01:56 AM.
    New website released. ya rly!

I think the important thing is to keep as much info as you can, you can always throw it away later but can't retrieve it as easily. Using a spreadsheet should be fine for most people, but if you want to do reports/costing/etc the right accountancy programs can help.
    Last edited by Xander; 10-23-2004 at 06:16 AM.

yes, Xander is right... keeping info on everything that you do financially is key.