Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Text Question

Registered

Anchor Text Question

Suppose that the term "fake blood" is my main target and "funny fake blood" is something I want to target as well, but it's not searched for nearly as much as fake blood. If I have sites link to me using the anchor text "funny fake blood" will it help me as much for ranking with "fake blood" as it would if I had the anchor text just set as "fake blood"

Would linking with "funny fake blood" be a good choice, or should I just go after my more important term of "fake blood"?

"fake blood" would be better for targeting "fake blood" than using "funny fake blood".

I would go for "fake blood" I think.

Depends how competitive the term is. For something that's not so competitive, I would go with "funny fake blood". However, if there's a lot of competition, just go for "fake blood" to start with and then when you're in a position you're happy with, get any subsequent links to use the anchor text "funny fake blood".

Registered
    "funny fake blood" targets both keyword phrases. You get the benefit of targeting both of them. My only concern would be, if the visitors who search for "fake blood" will actually *click* on a title such as "funny fake blood".

I think nohaber is right...

Yes. Funny Fake Blood gets you a 100% score on Funny Fake Blood and a 66% score on Fake Blood. Its the one I would use.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Thanks.

Nohaber, it was just an example. I don't have any sites targetting fake blood or funny fake blood. I don't think there is really such thing as funny fake blood.

Registered
    Chris,
    are you saying that keyword density in the anchor text matters?
    Cameron,
    I also didn't mean exactly these keywords. I meant that the title should appeal to the searchers for max CTR, and for some keyphrase that might not be the case.
    Last edited by nohaber; 07-14-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Yes, keyword density in everything matters.

Density is the best way to combat the original form of SE spam, repetition.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    IMO, density has never mattered in anything, at least for Google

As I said, in the example "Funny Fake Blood", if "Fake Blood" gets you 1000 searches a day and is a competitive phrase, but "Funny Fake Blood" only gets 50 searches a day then I would go for "Fake Blood" Because the benefit of the 100% score would be felt more than the 50 extra searches a day. You have to balance up what everything's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by chromate
    As I said, in the example "Funny Fake Blood", if "Fake Blood" gets you 1000 searches a day and is a competitive phrase, but "Funny Fake Blood" only gets 50 searches a day then I would go for "Fake Blood" Because the benefit of the 100% score would be felt more than the 50 extra searches a day. You have to balance up what everything's worth.
    This is pretty much why I reckoned going with 'fake blood', should have put some reasons with mine.

It all depends on the ratio of the two phrase's search frequencies I guess, if it was 1:1 I would go 'funny fake blood' if 20:1 prolly 'fake blood'.

Registered
    imo, there's no such thing as 66% and 100%. "Funny fake blood" has exactly the same relevancy as "fake blood" for "fake blood". It is the number of instances that matters, no the density.

Registered
    And to support my view on the keyword density, here's an extract from the Google's prototype paper. Where do you see density? I have bolded the text that shows how spam is coped with:

===
    4.5.1 The Ranking System
    Google maintains much more information about web documents than typical search engines. Every hitlist includes position, font, and capitalization information. Additionally, we factor in hits from anchor text and the PageRank of the document. Combining all of this information into a rank is difficult. We designed our ranking function so that no particular factor can have too much influence. First, consider the simplest case -- a single word query. In order to rank a document with a single word query, Google looks at that document's hit list for that word. Google considers each hit to be one of several different types (title, anchor, URL, plain text large font, plain text small font, ...), each of which has its own type-weight. The type-weights make up a vector indexed by type. Google counts the number of hits of each type in the hit list. Then every count is converted into a count-weight. Count-weights increase linearly with counts at first but quickly taper off so that more than a certain count will not help. We take the dot product of the vector of count-weights with the vector of type-weights to compute an IR score for the document. Finally, the IR score is combined with PageRank to give a final rank to the document.
    For a multi-word search, the situation is more complicated. Now multiple hit lists must be scanned through at once so that hits occurring close together in a document are weighted higher than hits occurring far apart. The hits from the multiple hit lists are matched up so that nearby hits are matched together. For every matched set of hits, a proximity is computed. The proximity is based on how far apart the hits are in the document (or anchor) but is classified into 10 different value "bins" ranging from a phrase match to "not even close". Counts are computed not only for every type of hit but for every type and proximity. Every type and proximity pair has a type-prox-weight. The counts are converted into count-weights and we take the dot product of the count-weights and the type-prox-weights to compute an IR score. All of these numbers and matrices can all be displayed with the search results using a special debug mode. These displays have been very helpful in developing the ranking system.

nohaber, I seriously doubt your theory. Density is clearly important. I have a page where I target a specific keyword phrase and my site is #1 and there is less than a paragraph on the page. The competing sites are all very large pages with many many more words on their page. Even though they use my term more often, I use less words making the keyphrase density much higher so I rank ahead. I would say keyword density is one of the #1 factors in ranking well.

The paper you're quoting is old and outdated by at least 4 years. They've had to adapt many times over to the changes in the search market.