Thread: Amazon AWS not returing ProductDescription

Junior Registered

Amazon AWS not returing ProductDescription

Hey everyone -- just found these forums & thought I'd say hello.

I'm building an uber-AWS site and am running into an issue w/ the SOAP results only.

I'm using NuSoap & the Amazon provied PHP script for results. I'm dumping the complete result and am not receiving ProductDescription. When I perform the same search via XML, I receive this field just fine.

i.e. :
    http://xml.amazon.com/onca/xml3?t=sa...pe=heavy&f=xml

works fine...
    for anyone that is familiar w/ that php script (amazon.php + AmazonSearch.php, etc), this is what I'm calling:
    php amazon.php -s -z -h
    (for ASIN, full output, and heavy search)
    with results:

--- BEGIN OUTPUT ---

Content-type: text/html

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.7

Request Parameters (TopLevelName not null):
    Array
    (
    [asin] => 0439139597
    [tag] => sablogcom-20
    [devtag] => D2XHPTRQSJTTQW
    [type] => heavy
    [page] => 1
    )
    Response (TopLevelName not null):
    Array
    (
    [Details] => Array
    (
    [0] => Array
    (
    [Url] => http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...6link_code=sp1
    [Asin] => 0439139597
    [ProductName] => Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
    [Catalog] => Book
    [Authors] => Array
    (
    [0] => J. K. Rowling
    [1] => Mary GrandPré
    )

[ReleaseDate] => 08 July, 2000
    [Manufacturer] => Scholastic
    [ImageUrlSmall] => http://images.amazon.com/images/P/04...1.THUMBZZZ.jpg
    [ImageUrlMedium] => http://images.amazon.com/images/P/04...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
    [ImageUrlLarge] => http://images.amazon.com/images/P/04...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    [ListPrice] => $25.95
    [OurPrice] => $17.65
    [UsedPrice] => $3.59
    [CollectiblePrice] => $6.99
    [ThirdPartyNewPrice] => $8.98
    [SalesRank] => 399
    [Lists] => Array
    (
    [0] => X3CXB0HCQ4W5
    [1] => 1RWQU4AVIV54L
    [2] => 1EJDV7MADD8QZ
    )

[BrowseList] => Array
    (
    [0] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Children's 9-12 - Fiction - Fantasy
    )

[1] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Children: Grades 4-6
    )

[2] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Hogwarts School of Witchcraft
    )

[3] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Imaginary place)
    )

[4] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Humorous Stories
    )

[5] => Array
    (
    [BrowseName] => Juvenile Fiction
    )

)

[Media] => Hardcover
    [NumMedia] => 1
    [Isbn] => 0439139597
    [Availability] => Usually ships within 24 hours
    [Upc] => 038332187076
    [Reviews] => Array
    (
    [AvgCustomerRating] => 4.76
    [TotalCustomerReviews] => 4692
    [CustomerReviews] => Array
    (
    [0] => Array
    (
    [Rating] => 5
    [Summary] => Worth the wait!
    [Comment] => I've been counting down the days till July 8, rereading the first three books, and hoping the fourth would live up to all the anticipation. Well, it does - it's the best in the series so far. There's much more depth to the supporting characters - I especially like the subplots for Ron and Hermione - and the villains are even more menacing. It's more frightening than the earlier books, but then, even &quot;Sorcerer's Stone&quot; had some truly chilling moments. &quot;Goblet of Fire&quot; simply has more frequent and more extended passages revealing the treachery of Voldemort and his followers. It makes you realize how important it is for Harry and his friends to fight the dark powers and master their own power so they can, hopefully, finally triumph in Book 7. <P>I really like how Rowling is beginning to tie the book together in the series - characters and themes from earlier books reappear, making it clear how well-thought-out the series is, and the ending leaves you eagerly awaiting Book 5, wanting to see how the plot strands will continue to evolve. The ending is satisfying in its own right - Rowling doesn't leave you hanging, just lets you know that, just as in real life, everything doesn't get wrapped up all at once. <P>This may be a children's ... as they face their problems are almost painfully real. Rowling's evocations of the trials of early adolescences - first crushes, bullies, awkward growth spurts, school dances - are remarkably true to life, and made me care even more for the characters as they fought their magical ... adventure.<P>Well, now I'm going to go re-read the entire series so far, and start counting down till Book 5. Rowling is remarkable and I know the next book, like this one, will be well worth the wait.
    )

[1] => Array
    (
    [Rating] => 5
    [Summary] => Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    [Comment] => J.K.Rowling has done it again! Book Four of the seven book series is probably the most eagerly anticipated book of the year and it was certainly worth waiting for. Harry, Ron and Hermione are all back at Hogwarts for their fourth year and this year hold more suprises and problems than last year! Once again the school has a new Defence of the Dark Arts teacher known only as Professor 'Mad - Eye' Moody. Sirius Black assumes his role as ... book to find out who. If you want to know how great this book is, put it this way: It was released on Saturday over here, its now Monday afternoon. I watched Pete Sampras play tennis and that was about the only point at which I could put this legendary book down. MISS THIS AT YOUR PERIL!
    )

[2] => Array
    (
    [Rating] => 5
    [Summary] => One of the Best in the Series
    [Comment] => Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a great book in the series. you find out a lot of info in it, and captures your interest right away.if any of you have not read this book, i would really recommend it.
    )

)

)

[SimilarProducts] => Array
    (
    [0] => 0439136350
    [1] => 043935806X
    [2] => 0439064864
    [3] => 0590353403
    [4] => B00008DDXC
    )

)

)

)
    Items with ASIN 0439139597 - 1 Matches
    ======================================
    0439139597 Book Scholastic $17.65 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
    Authors: J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré,

--- END OUTPUT ---

sorry for posting this here if its a little technical, but the AWS forums are kaput at the moment.

I saw an earlier post about sometimes Amazon not returning the data if certain nodes are taking too long.... maybe that's what is happening. It just sucks since ProductDescription is a pretty important part of the equation!

Thanks

-Shanti

Junior Registered
    Firstly I've just joined so hello everybody.

Shanti, I have the exact same problem. I've had a look on the amazon discussion board and can't find anything about it. Did you have any luck in finding out how to get the Product Description wih SOAP? In the documentation I have its not listed.

Is there an issue using SOAP that prevents the Product Details from being included (eg makes filesize too big). I saw another post on this forum that suggested that some items don't have them (suggesting that some do) but I've looked and haven't found any items with them.

I agree, I think they're pretty important.

Junior Registered

still no word on the Product Descriptions via SOAP

I was hoping you might have better news when I saw the reply

I still haven't found any explanation as to why the Product Descriptions are not being returned via SOAP.

I posted a detailed message to the Amazon Forums but haven't received a response back from Amazon, or anyone for that matter.

After waiting over a week, I've pretty much accepted that I'm just going to have to get this data via XML.

If I were you (& if you haven't started coding too much yet), I'd just switch to XML entirely. It sounds like the majority (70%?) of developers use this platform, and it seems to be more supported than SOAP.

Good Luck!

Junior Registered
    As I've done most of the work, I'll probably just stick to using the customers reviews and the Features. From what you say( 70% use XML), I'm surprised more people don't use SOAP as it seems be more straight forward.

Maybe if we keep our fingers crossed our dreams will come true. And we'll get product descriptions as well