Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10-20 Million Hits

You will never use the bandwidth the server gives you - If you're after a high traffic site get a high spec server.

Quote Originally Posted by thepoorman
    that is awesome... 5 servers! 1000+ GB Bandwidth a month... Are they all mirrors of each other or are they different servers for each site? Do you host the site on your own or have it hosted
    It is one main site per server. I put all the AWS sites on one server though.

One of my sites needs to servers (frontend and database server).

I lease all the servers from America, here in Australia it is way too pricey to get a connection anywhere near "decent" which could be used for hosting websites.

Though it is a goal of mine for possibly a few years down the track when decent connections are a reasonable price to buy servers and put them in my house. Far way off though.

Quote Originally Posted by incka
    You will never use the bandwidth the server gives you - If you're after a high traffic site get a high spec server.
    Actually, if you have a popular site offering game trailers, demos etc I would think it was very possible that you could go over your bandwidth limit.

However if it got to that stage a 10MBPS server isn't that exspensive if you need it.
    Last edited by AndyH; 10-14-2004 at 02:50 PM.
    New website released. ya rly!

What do you consider the bottle neck to be, if not bandwidth?

Processor/RAM.
    New website released. ya rly!

I have to agree with Andy. I see the same thing with my websites. I have plenty of bandwidth to spare (with 1200 GB a month). I will have to move on to a stronger server long before I run out of bandwidth.

About users taking up more resources then what advertising brings in - wouldn't that be more for the database/processor/graphic intense games? Wouldn't you see something else with a popular jokes site?

I'm the oogie boogie man! James's Avatar
    Yes, unless the jokes site has poor CTR which they often do.

Website Developer
    You would really have to be doing something wrong to use up more resources than advertising. I know of several sites that have 5-10mb+ movie clip downloads, tons and tons of traffic, and they are still making very good money.

I suspect its possible, if every visitor is download tons of content without the page views. It took me a long time to figure out why game download sites made you click through about 3 pages before you could download the actual file. Now I know.
    Make more money - Read my Web Publishing Blog