Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back link request = SPAM?

Back link request = SPAM?

Hi guys,

I'm starting a link request campaign (not link exchange) and I have a few questions.
    If I request a back link from a site relevant to mine, this can be easily considered SPAM, because is unsolicited email.

How do you deal with this issue when sending link requests?

And to clarify I will not send request for back link to webmasters offering link exchanges, but to websites relevant to my website's content.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

To simply say that any email that is unsolicited is SPAM is wrong, IMO. If someone emails without me asking, complimenting me on my site, that is not SPAM. If someone emails me without me asking, to ask to advertising, that is not SPAM.

So, someone asking me for a link from a relevant site would not be considered SPAM. It MIGHT be considered SPAM if you sent them a message a week, though.
    Stepping On Wires - the new blog

I wouldn't considder your request spam.
    Percept | Webdesign | Desk02 | 7962154zz8x

Thanks guys,

I will not consider my own request as a SPAM either, but nowadays my link request might easily be considered as SPAM.

A client of mine did similar thing sending personal requests for link exchange (note he wasn't selling anything and he sent personalized message to each of the 20 recipients) and I received a SPAM report for one of his messages.
    Now I'm a reasonable guy and I didn't shut my client, because I felt the request was unwarranted, but I'm not sure that every web host will react like that.

So I guess my question is - how do you do your back link requests?

Just make sure you write at least a few friendly lines before asking for the link. Nothing like: "Hey, I like your site, want to link too me ? See you bye."
    Percept | Webdesign | Desk02 | 7962154zz8x

My account got shut for down for 2 days for sending this guy a email asking for a link exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_gersitz
    My account got shut for down for 2 days for sending this guy a email asking for a link exchange.
    Who did you send the email to?

Its spam. It doesn't matter how you define it, it matters how your web host defines it, and almost all hosts will define that as spam.

I personally ran into this very issue when I was starting out, I almost lost my hosting.

Now, what is solicitation? If there is a contact page or feedback form soliciting comments or suggestions on the website then that is solicitation.

So do not blindly email webmaster@, but if they solicit comments, then its fine.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Trench Warfare
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    If there is a contact page or feedback form soliciting comments or suggestions on the website then that is solicitation.
    I disagree. Having a contact form does not mean that I want to solict "link exchange requests, "business partnerships" and the other stuff my contact form gets bombarded with almost every day.

I, personally, have reported quite a few website's to their webhosts for spamming.

Why, just yesterday I got this little beauty:

Hello, (business' name) maintains its service to businesses and individuals at very low rates with state of the art features and services. To show your support for us, we would appreciate if we could exchange a small text link . This will help us with our search engine ranking and make our content available to a wider audience.

If you are interested in Exchanging Links, with us please let us know.

Regards,
    (person's name)
    (person's website)
    Funny thing was, they were expecting me to help "support" a webhosting company I have never heard of, let alone used and liked.

Clearly SPAM. Only contact those who solicit link exchanges.
    ________
    marijuana pictures
    Last edited by ozgression; 02-06-2011 at 05:54 AM.

I don't really see what's wrong with that ozgression. They've simply asked you for a link exchange. What else are they supposed to do if they are new and don't have much money for advertising?
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    From ozgressions webmaster site:

1 - Simply ask the webmaster for a link! If your
    site can be a valuable resource for the other site's
    visitors, send the webmaster a polite, personalized
    email asking for a link. Tell the other webmaster
    why a link to your site would be beneficial to his
    visitors (and his site).
    Isnt this just what the email asks you for Ozgression? Reporting a personalised message for Spam is a little harsh.

Messages that are obviously generic may be another matter. But as Chris says, it is what your Host may think that ultimately maters.

I think a lot depends on the industry you're targeting. For example, the majority of dating sites expect to be involved in link exchanges, because that's just the nature of the business.

If the webmaster invites you to contact them on their site, then there shouldn't be a problem so long as you word the email right. The email Ozgression received is a good example of how not to write a link request email. Saying "to show your support for us" was clearly a bad move. As Ozgression says, what motive does he have for supporting something he's never used before?

I wouldn't have reported it as spam though. As a webmaster, I expect to receive link requests. But then, I also solicit it on my sites.

I disagree. Having a contact form does not mean that I want to solict "link exchange requests, "business partnerships" and the other stuff my contact form gets bombarded with almost every day.
    You can disagree all you want, but when it comes to the definition of solicitation I think we should all defer to what the dictionary says. According to the dictionary asking for comments and suggestions is a solicitation. So unless you specifically say no link exchange requests then there is nothing wrong with sending you one.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

If there is a contact page or feedback form soliciting comments or suggestions on the website then that is solicitation.
    Yes, but you still have to put a removal link in your email right?