Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a better search engine ranking.

Tips for a better search engine ranking.

The tips presented in this post may not work or even be feasible for every site. However, if you want a better search engine ranking, you should implement as many tips as you can. To submit a new tip PM me.

1. Replace your graphical menu with a text one. [submitted by Chris]

If your site current has a graphical menu, get rid of it. Text based menus are far superior for search engine especially if you want to increase the rankings of the pages linked to from the menu. Because most of the incoming links for those pages will be from your menu and because the context of your incoming links is vitally important, changing your menu from graphical to text based will significantly help the rankings if your subpages. This is of course assuming that the menu links use keywords as their anchor text.

2. Add two instances of your keywords in your homepage, or whichever page you’re working on. [submitted by Chris]

Any site should be able to do this, and its pretty simple to do. No matter how many times you already repeat your keywords on your homepage, do it two more times. You might need to be creative, but if you follow the steps in this article you should be able to pull it off.

3. Get more incoming links. [submitted by Chris]

You can never spend too much time working on incoming links. You can search for your keywords on Google and check the backwards links of the #1 site and get all those people to link to you as well. You can search on Google for “submit URL” or “add site” or other variations and your keywords to find more places to submit your site. So spend an afternoon working on your incoming links.

4. Submit more articles to directories. [submitted by Chris]

Find categories on DMOZ, Yahoo, and Zeal where you could submit individual articles. Chances are that not every article you have is listed in every directory, so you can always work on directory submissions. Don't spam the directories, but if you find an appropriate category for one of your articles, submit it. Spend another afternoon doing this.

5. Make sure everything has an alt or title attribute. [submitted by Chris]

Scour your site and make sure every image has an alt attribute and every link has a title attribute. Do not stop until you have checked every nook and cranny of your site.

6. - Find ways for users to comment on your content. Allow users to comment helps you keep the article/page fresh. Also, user interaction allows you to perfect your article in time, add improvements and corrections. Search engines like fresh content. [submitted by Kyle]

7. - Learning CSS can have an influence on your rankings. View the source code of a site created in tables. Notice how much extra HTML code is needed to accomplish content formation. Then look at a simple CSS site's code. Minimizing your source code is always a good start. [submitted by Kyle]

8. - Content placement. Try and keep your content and heading for the given page as close to the top of your source code as possible. Put your navigation code AFTER your content. In CSS you could move your navigation to the left, top, bottom, or right of your content while still keeping the actual code BELOW the content. [submitted by Kyle]

Registered

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    4. Submit more articles to directories.

Find categories on DMOZ, Yahoo, and Zeal where you could submit individual articles. Chances are that not every article you have is listed in every directory, so you can always work on directory submissions. Don't spam the directories, but if you find an appropriate category for one of your articles, submit it. Spend another afternoon doing this.
    DMOZ - seems like no one updates this thing anymore?

Yahoo - how do you submit an article? I have one in there but I did not submit it to them.

ZEAL - is gone isn't it?

Yes, Zeal is gone.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I'm still learning how to read, just noticed Chris asked to PM him new tips .
    Kyle

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm still learning how to read, just noticed Chris asked to PM him new tips .
    if he did not want any replies to this sticky he should have closed the thread.

Junior Registered
    Good information.
    Last edited by ajin115; 04-27-2007 at 03:40 AM.

Junior Registered
    Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

3. Get more incoming links. [submitted by Chris]

You can never spend too much time working on incoming links. You can search for your keywords on Google and check the backwards links of the #1 site and get all those people to link to you as well. You can search on Google for “submit URL” or “add site” or other variations and your keywords to find more places to submit your site. So spend an afternoon working on your incoming links.
    Ok...I'm dumb can you walk me through this one a little more.

Ok if your website is fabulouswidgets . com (widgets being the keyword) then:
    1. Do a search on google for "widgets".
    2. grab the URL of the site that is first in the search results (eg: superdooperwidgets.com) then do a search on google for websites that link to that site by entering in google search: link:superdooperwidgets.com

[alternatively, if you have google toolbar, click the down arrow just to the right of the PageRank button on the toolbar and select "Backward Links".

That will show you some of the websites that link to that site.

Then approach those sites to get a link.

^
    l
    l
    l
    Thanks!

Banned
    very good post. Great tips for beginners

Great and very informative post....Nice article you've post here Chris...DMOZ and Zeal not more exisiting?

I think instead of submitting articles to this directories I will submit to other quality directories...Example is jayde and other directories which is also good directory....

Junior Registered
    Very informative article on SEO. If I would like to know more, would you point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    thank you for sharing, did you write this article yourself?

I spend alot of time working on #3

by the way bbmm1980 your site is interesting and very easy to maneaveur. I guess there really is a market for everything