Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is links from several PR9 pages worth?

How much is links from several PR9 pages worth?

How much is links from several PR9 pages worth?

The pages are on New Scientist .com

They have emailed me regarding prices, and it seems quite good rate, but you have to have a 5 link minimum buy. Current people are getting PR8 pages from the links their alone. PR8 would mean alot to a shopping site, and I am making a few, including a general shopping one. Also I'm making a dictionary, getting to the top of google for Dictionary would mean 120,000+ uniques a day, so that's a hell of alot from ad networks, and I'm sure Tribal & Fastclick would like dictionary sites.

So is £2000 a link, 5 link minimum a month worth it?

You're asking if it's worth spending £10,000 to get a PR 8? No.

Forgive me for saying this, but I think you're trying to run before you can walk.

You say you're "making a dictionary". That sounds ominous to start with. Even if you did get to #1 for "Dictionary" do you have any idea what sort of setup would be needed to handle over 120k uniques a day? Remember that traffic wouldn't be spread evenly throughout the day.

Don't take that the wrong way. I think you're doing well Incka. But I also think you should slow down and take some time to learn more about what it is you're doing and exactly what it is you want to achieve (apart from just being plain rich).

Chromate - £10,000 for 5 PR8's.

The dictionary already has over a million words, and users can add their own. I bought a script for $200.

I don't want to be plain rich, I want my company to have a large income, yes, but I don't want any money for myself - I don't like spending money at all.

How many servers would you need to handle 120,000 visitors on a flat-perl-database?

£10,000 is a lot of money and if it all goes pear shaped your in a bit of a mess.

With google as unpredictable as it is at the moment, it would be a VERY big risk to take.

Also, those links are from unrelated pages. I doubt they will help LocalRank.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Ok...

What's a flat-perl-database? If you mean structured txt file with half a million words ... give up. It wont work for what you want. With that sort of traffic and considering the requests that are being made, you will want to use an enterprise level database, unless you want to make your users wait silly amounts of time and have frequent downtime. You had also better hope that it's a very good script, otherwise you'll have massive server load overheads.

Even if you get 120,000 uniques - on average people will view about 2 pages max on a dictionary site. So it's actually not that much considering how much it will cost you in buying links / server costs.

Not to mention it would take years for you to beat current dictionary sites. Tons of PR or not. PR isn't an automatic pass to the winner's circle.

Where are you getting this money from? Family members? What will you do when you can't pay them back?
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Also how long are the links gonna stay there? For ever, a month, a year?

Also NewScientist will have fairly targetted traffic, I would imagine you could buy links cheaper from a general site...?

(Thats if you still wanted to buy links - I agree with the others in saying you need to slow down a bit, what happened to that big site you were buying for $20k?)
    Last edited by r2d2; 05-11-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Registered

Re: How much is links from several PR9 pages worth?

Originally posted by incka
    So is £2000 a link, 5 link minimum a month worth it?
    2k per link. 5 link minimum. per MONTH?! that's 10k a month, 120,000 a year?! . Man if you were making that sort of money there'd be no need to buy links unless you wanted to waste money.

I'm with everyone else, slow down a bit get stuff going stable before any big risks.

OK, I can get a few PR8 sites from dmoz listings, but if they help me get sales I see no reason not to go larger, some companies already doing similar things are making loads...

Dictionary Script: http://www.nelogic.com/4/41.html

I was planning to do the dmoz thing first, so I could afford the links on my own without help...

I was planning to do the dmoz thing first, so I could afford the links on my own without help...
    Afford £10,000 a month? Excuse me for being realistic, but this won’t happen most likely. I guess you are looking at Chris and/or other successful publishers and you think, well that’s easy, Chris earns 20K maybe 30K a month, I can do that too.
    First he might earn 20K or 30K monthly, but again he might not.
    Second what makes you think you’ll get to his level at all?

What makes me know I will get to his level? My determination to get to his level, and far, far beyond it. Just wait and see.

Originally posted by incka
    What makes me know I will get to his level? My determination to get to his level, and far, far beyond it. Just wait and see.
    Good luck young man

Thank you, and good luck with your ventures (despite the fact that nothing is to do with luck).

Ive got to respect Sean for his determination and drive and I think you have done brilliantly if you are 14.

Id recommend though that any big plans you have, wait at least a week and have a think about it, then see if it still seems like a good plan. Have a look round, if you just want PR, im sure you can buy it a lot cheaper than this.

With a bit more life experience, I dont doubt you can be successful at anything you put your mind too.

Registered
    yet google is more like a game of bingo