Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Content Sites vs. ECommerce sites

Content Sites vs. ECommerce sites

Hi guys,

I would like to start a discussion comparing Content sites and ECommerce sites and their respective revenues.

Which one do you prefer? Which one is more profitable? Which one is easier to promote? Which one involves more work than the other?

For me content sites are better. That's only because of the time involved in an ecommerce site though, they are much more profitable imho...
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Depends, a content site such as dictionary.com or bartleby.com can make far more than ecommerce sites, but ecommerce sites can make far more. It depends on promotion.

Also would you class a site like SavvyShopping.net as content, and a AWS or datafeed site as content or would you class them as ecommerce.

Also would you class a site like SavvyShopping.net as content, and a AWS or datafeed site as content or would you class them as ecommerce.
    I tend to think of those types of sites as ecommerce, although they are somewhere in between.

For this post, ecommerce sites are when you stock products in your office/home, and sell them with a website.

It's not fair to compare the two, content and ecommerce. Generally speaking, content sites need much more traffic to generate as much revenue as a given ecommerce site. Ecommerce sites require a lot more work and money put into the business from the start, plus time for shipping. Again, I'm not talking about specific cases.. just general content vs. ecommerce sites.

There's a lot more costs and risks associated with an ecommece site. You need to stock products, purchase more expensive hosting and security certifacte, bank accounts, merchant accounts... you basically start at a loss. There are more laws to consider, as well as more tax issues.

I prefer content sites. My site SurviveOutdoors.com once had its own store with products that we shipped out. I'm not a big fan... but it can be very profitable.
    Kyle

Depends what the products are. If you have an information product you can sell, then this can probably be the most profitable. People pay good money for good information and of course, there are no shipping costs involved.

Chromate - A good example of this is High Beam Research, LLC. They make quite alot of money from people paying for access to their eLibrary.com & Encyclopedia.com sites.

The best way to approach this isn't to compare the two, but to combine the two. Have a content site that can drive traffic to your ecommerce site.

Or for some people, a content site that can drive traffic to an affiliate site.

Ecommerce is a gold mine. It is more work but the potential is so much greater.

With content sites you can make good money, enough to live comfortably. But it is really difficult to make enough money to make you really rich. Some affiliate sites can do it, but with just advertising its hard with a content site.

An ecommerce site though , the sky is literally the limit. You can start out small, and then keep expanding. In a decade you could end up running a publicly traded company worth millions.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

But at the moment with google in its current state, wouldn't it be hard to get some traffic into the ecommerce site? I know it's the same for content sites, but you haven't invested much in them apart from time.

Google arent doing too bad themselves, for what is essentially a content site.

Making it big though would be more possible with an ecommerce site - you just need the time and money to invest...

Mike, alot of ecommerce sites buy adwords or buy links to them on PR9 sites such as newscientist.com.

That's more money to spend.

Ecommerce is a gold mine. It is more work but the potential is so much greater.

With content sites you can make good money, enough to live comfortably. But it is really difficult to make enough money to make you really rich. Some affiliate sites can do it, but with just advertising its hard with a content site.

An ecommerce site though , the sky is literally the limit. You can start out small, and then keep expanding. In a decade you could end up running a publicly traded company worth millions.
    Chris,

Did you start with purely content sites in the beginning?
    How do you promote your ecommerce sites?
    Do you write content sites related to the ecommerce sites and link to them?
    Do you try to embed some content into the ecommerce sites?

I'm trying to get a general idea of how to promote an ecommerce site?

Thanks