Thread: You know whats depressing?

You know whats depressing?

Thinking up a really cool idea for a website, then going online and finding someone else has already done it. Happened to me twice today, just today.

I guess all you can do is make it anyways and try to make it better or market it better.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    C'mon Chris. You know there is plenty of room for competition. Can you not do it better or different than what's already out there? You've been around long enough that you've probably got several competitive advantages over the other guys in terms of execution and SE promotion.

The way I see it these days is that there are 10 spots on the first page of Google for every keyword. If I can be in the top 5 for my desired terms I should fare well (as I typically play in high rev niches) even if there are 5+ players doing the same thing.

I used to get a bit put off several years ago but these days I expect if I have a good idea there are at least 1 or 2 sites already in the game.
    Last edited by BGray; 05-26-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Well sure, but the one idea (which I thought I had originally thought of) the company has like 200m in revenue. I'll make the site anyways and hope for a fraction of though.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I think I do that 3-4 times a week. An original idea is out there, but when you think it is original it's not. I seriously actually had a Twitter thought a little before Twitter came out. I'm horrible at blogging, but hated to waste a blog to throw out quick thoughts.

So I used my myspace 'status' area (which only allows you so many characters anyway) to say what I wanted to say. Then I had another thought....hmmm....then that thought was defeated.

I still have a Myspace competitive site in mind (even today). I just can't code it like it needs to be coded (I've watched everything they've done wrong and can EASILY make it better...again, if I could code it right).

The only problem, now, is getting the backing of music, etc. The site, itself, easy to blow out of the water.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Junior Registered
    I can relate with you. I've been in that situation a lot of times. In order to be successful in business, you must offer a product or service that is something unique. What I mean is that you must at least exceed your competitor's product/service. Well, if you thought about something try to stick to it and think for another idea that you can add to it.

If I where you I would do use googles Keyword seach tool, type in the keyword you plan on using for your website or blog and going and looking at the search results for the month. Than go to google and type in the keyword and look at the competition. than you will have a idea of where to go.

Thanks
    ClarkM

Junior Registered
    If I where you I would do use googles Keyword seach tool, type in the keyword you plan on using for your website or blog and going and looking at the search results for the month. Than go to google and type in the keyword and look at the competition. than you will have a idea of where to go.
    good advice---the google keyword search is a great tool to see what's already out there. I use it extensively for my existing sites, too.

Banned
    What a pity!
    But you're OK now. Just someone had this thought before you, sure I had met this before. The sunshine will appear after that.

4x4
    Advice for a 3 year old post.

Classic