Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyphens in URLs

Hyphens in URLs

Anyone alse noticed that google is highlighting (bolding) keywords in urls, even when a hyphen is not being used?

Example: search for "tree" and look at the urls of the sites returned.

Is it reasonable to assume that we no longer need hyphens to separate words? Is there any benefit to using hyphens anymore from a SEO perspective?

Or has google always done this, and I just haven't noticed it?

I do not believe Google has done this. I think this is new...
    Kyle

Yea I think it's new.

I like the new design as well
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I think the new design will work out better for people using adwords at least.

Back to the hyphen thing... this is quite a major change if it is new. Chances are google have been doing it for ages anyway and it just hasn't been apparent in the SERPs results.

It would be nice to wave goodbye to hyphens in domain names and reap the rewards of more return traffic as well as search engine traffic. What do we think?

I agree about the return traffic, although I think having one hyphen is ok. More than that and it is one annoying, two spammy, and three harder to remember.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

I saw a blog post regarding that. Looks good, although it does not seem to always pick out words properly as complete and independent words.

May be a visual thing but hopefully a sign of things to come.

Choosing between hyphen and not is tricky for me, although I had no choice with the last one and hypenated ones seem to be available more often.

Hey Dan,

I just came here to post about this, and I noticed your post.

Yeah, check out the 6th site down. Look at the url
    here

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think that just because Google is highlighting search terms in the displayed results, that they're actually able to pick those words out of URLs when there is nothing there to separate them?

I'm not saying they're not doing that, but it's pretty trivial to just highlight the terms in the displayed results. Seems like there could be an awful lot of false positives if they are truly attempting to pull keywords out of a string of characters.

Then again, I'll admit that they are a lot smarter than I am.

Originally posted by flyingpylon
    Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think that just because Google is highlighting search terms in the displayed results, that they're actually able to pick those words out of URLs when there is nothing there to separate them?
    Because Google would have to be able to pick the words out in order to highlight them in the first place?

Whether they use them for ranking in the SERPs is a different matter. I would THINK they do though purely from personal observations of the changes I've seen for the keywords I'm monitoring.

I guess my point was simply that there could be two independent processes going on.

1. Google takes the search terms, checks its index, and returns what it thinks are relevant sites (just as it always has).

2. The text that displays those results goes through a simple search/replace where occurances of the search terms are bolded. Nothing magical here, just searching for occurances of one string within another.

Resident smart a$$
    Originally posted by chromate
    I would THINK they do though purely from personal observations of the changes I've seen for the keywords I'm monitoring.
    Isn't the strength of the Google system over the years the fact that they don't rely on too many on site factors for ranking sites, inother words webmaster controlled factors like these: domain names, file naming, meta tags and excessive/repeditive use of keywords on a page.

Originally posted by Best.Flash
    Isn't the strength of the Google system over the years the fact that they don't rely on too many on site factors for ranking sites, inother words webmaster controlled factors like these: domain names, file naming, meta tags and excessive/repeditive use of keywords on a page.
    Google DOES use all of those factors when ranking a page, apart from meta tags. And I'm not aware of any limit to how many times keywords can be repeated, within reason (ie, what's written makes sense).

We already know that google does look for keywords in the URL, which is why it was desirable to use hyphens in the first place. If they could find keywords in a string of characters without significant overhead then, I don't see why they wouldn't do this aswell.

flyingpylon could well be right about the two separate processes. However, the fact that google chooses to bold the keywords in the URL at all is significant. It means that they consider it of importance to the user when they're trying to find a relevant result. If Google thinks that searchers would use the URL to work out how relevant a result is, then they would probably incorporate it into the ranking algs too. Especially considering we already know they do this with hyphenated phrases.

Just a few thoughts.

Resident smart a$$
    Good, I enjoy a friendly argument
    Originally posted by chromate
    Google DOES use all of those factors when ranking a page
    So just to clarify your saying Google DOES use file names when ranking pages? You know this to be a fact and not conjecture?
    And I'm not aware of any limit to how many times keywords can be repeated, within reason (ie, what's written makes sense).
    Are you saying here Google can discern whether a pages copy 'makes sense' or not?
    We already know that google does look for keywords in the URL, which is why it was desirable to use hyphens in the first place.
    The reason it was advisable to use hyphens in the first place was so Google can pick out the hyphenated keywords when someone links to a page on your site using the full path as the anchor text.
    However, the fact that google chooses to bold the keywords in the URL at all is significant. It means that they consider it of importance to the user when they're trying to find a relevant result. If Google thinks that searchers would use the URL to work out how relevant a result is, then they would probably incorporate it into the ranking algs too.
    The fact that Google highlights any search terms in the URL is important for the user when trying to find a relevant result but how do you know that's to be taken as a positive or proof their using it in the algo? - they could be saying, Look this page keyword stuffs their directory/file names you may not want to click on this page.

Do you agree Google success was built largely on the fact that they broke from the on site meta tag, keyword density lottery used by AltaVista etc. back in the days?

Google is the Alan Greenspan of the Internet. They give a sigh and hoards of people drop what they're doing to analyze the situation.

Good, I enjoy a friendly argument
    Not arguing Because I'm not saying Google are doing it for a fact, it's way too early to tell. I'm just throwing some thoughts around as to why I think they would do it.

So just to clarify your saying Google DOES use file names when ranking pages? You know this to be a fact and not conjecture?
    Well, when it comes to google we barely know anything to be fact these days because fact requires solid proof and the web's not exactly a controlled environment

But from reading numerous articles (including Chris's article on this site about forming URLs) and from personal experience, I'm pretty certain that the URL is one of the factors taken into consideration when ranking pages.

Are you saying here Google can discern whether a pages copy 'makes sense' or not?
    Nope - but humans can and they can also file spam reports.

The reason it was advisable to use hyphens in the first place was so Google can pick out the hyphenated keywords when someone links to a page on your site using the full path as the anchor text.
    Well, this is part of it - yes. But that's not the sole factor.

The fact that Google highlights any search terms in the URL is important for the user when trying to find a relevant result but how do you know that's to be taken as a positive or proof their using it in the algo? - they could be saying, Look this page keyword stuffs their directory/file names you may not want to click on this page.
    I didn't say it was proof that they're using it in the ranking algs. I said I thought it seemed likely.

You could be right in saying that google bolds the search terms enable people to pick out the sites that they don't want to click on. However, I don't think that's likely. Google's job is to find the pages that people naturally DO want to click on and rank them accordingly.

If we assume that google does use hyphenated URLs as a factor in the ranking algs, then it would make sense for them to use non-hyphenated URLs too, overhead permitting. Why would they pick one exclusively, over the other? If Google considers keywords appearing in the URL as important, then they're important, whether the URL is hyphenated or not.

Do you agree Google success was built largely on the fact that they broke from the on site meta tag, keyword density lottery used by AltaVista etc. back in the days?
    Yep But then again, we also know that Google does place importance on stuff the webmaster can still control: Title, Heading tags etc etc. A page title is just as easy to change as a URL, and yet that's still a key factor too.