Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash MX 2004 Action Script confusion!!

Quote Originally Posted by iKwak
    How long did it take you to be where you at now thebillionaire?
    In terms of flash info 8 months. You can learn most of what I have learned by reading a book, but I just experimented.

So you want the flash movie to go to the end of the movie and stop right? Well it’s easy using the flash explorer, but in a webpage you have to send a variable to an external file, and retrieve it, for this you have to use PHP.
    Show me an example of what u have done so far.

But I think that since your new you should make 2 flash movies, on the main page (where the movie is sapposed to be played) and the other movie on the rest of the pages. The second movie you make have a control bar on it with play and stop. on play it will play the movie and on stop it will go to the beginning.

If you don't want to make the movie all over again put in this code in the play button.

on(release){
    _root.loadMovie("http://www.yoursite.com/yourmainmoviethatplays.swf");
    }

and on the stop button put this in:

on(release){
    root.loadMovie("http://www.yoursite.com/secondmoviethatdoesntplay.swf");
    }

If you need more help just tell me. Hope that helps
    Last edited by thebillionaire; 05-26-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Did that help?

Junior Registered

SimpleScript Confusion

I am trying to use simple actionScripting and having NO luck

I have a movie with 3 scenes(Home, OEM, Supplier).
    Problem 1:
    I have two buttons on the Home scene, OEMbutn directs the playhead to the OEM scene and Supplierbutn directs the playhead to the Supplier scene (well, they're supposed to anyway).

I have this code attached to the OEMbutn:
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay("OEM",1);
    }

I have also tried this code (label reference):
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay("myOEMlabel");
    }

Neither of these work.

Problem 2:
    when the animation is finished in the OEM scene, it is supposed to go back to the 'Home' scene. I have a very simple line of code attached to the last frame of the OEM scene.
    Code:
    gotoAndPlay("Home",1);

Again, I have also tried the Label reference:
    gotoAndPlay("myHomeLabel");

And again, neither work. I'm frustrated!

Can someone please explain to me why Flash seems to have a serious problem navigating between scenes?

TIA,
    Spyder

They all work for me, make sure you put in the stop(); action on the first frame of home. other than that everything seems fine.

Junior Registered

hhhmmm

Then I don't know what to do at this point. They still are not working.

Junior Registered
    Well, rebooting the comp didn't help either. So I uninstalled and re-installed Flash. Buttons seem to be working now...yeah.

But I also have an intro animation scene that has the 'gotoAndPlay("Home",1); attached to the last frame. This script does not work. When I preview the scene, it just simply loops over and over, never acting on the script. When I change the script to simply go back to a label in the same scene, it does so. So obviously it's getting to that script, it just doesn't act on the gotoAndPlay('a different scene'). Any ideas or thoughts?

Again, TIA
    Spyder

Try extending the key frame where the gotoAndPlay("Home",1); is at. Or you can create a movie clip and position it outside the scene, so it is not viewable by the visitor. In the movie clip but this action in:

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    gotoAndPlay("Home",1);
    }

Though, I would recommend just flash mx, its the best flash version, atleast that what I think, Its not as easy as mx 2004 but it makes sense and works.

Junior Registered
    That's ok, I kinda HAVE TO make this stuff work, seeing as how my company bought the software for me off of my recomendation

Anyway, here's a new delimna for you (now that my Flash 'seems' to be working).

Whole new concept: one movie clip consists of one blue circle that animates in 5 different ways.
    -Layer 1 is a 'Label' layer that simply labels each different animation on the timeline as a number (1 through 5).
    -Layer 2 is the frameScript layer. Frame 1 includes a frameScript that includes the following code:
    --> myVariable = random(5 +1); <-- the "+1" omits the default "0" as you already know.
    --> gotoAndPlay(myVariable);

OK, when I trace 'myVariable', the output window shows the variable equaling anywhere from 1 thru 5 ...GREAT! BUT, the playback plays the 1st animation only, hhhmmpphh.

At the end of each animation, I have another frameScript that directs the playhead to go back to the 'start' of the timeline and rerun the above script.

Any ideas as to why the random() is working but the playhead refuses to jump to the value of the variable? Again, the value of the variable is equal to the corresponding name of the label ...hhhmmm, could it be a problem with the variable being a number and the label (although numerical) is actually represented as text?

TIA,
    Spyder